From: Erann Gat
Subject: Lisp in space!
The Remote Agent, which is written in Common Lisp, is running aboard
the NASA DS1 spacecraft.  Lisp is running is space!  See rax.arc.nasa.gov
for details.

Erann Gat
···@jpl.nasa.gov

From: Martin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Lisp in space!
There is a message <····················@milo.jpl.nasa.gov>
scrawled in the dust by Erann Gat in a flowery script, reading:

> The Remote Agent, which is written in Common Lisp, is running aboard
> the NASA DS1 spacecraft.  Lisp is running is space!  See rax.arc.nasa.gov
> for details.

You know, I thought it might be. ;) Neat.

Thanks.
--
Remove insect from address to email me | You can never browse enough
"Ahh, aren't they cute" -- Anne Diamond describing drowning dolphins
From: Reini Urban
···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) wrote:
>The Remote Agent, which is written in Common Lisp, is running aboard
>the NASA DS1 spacecraft.  Lisp is running is space!  See rax.arc.nasa.gov
>for details.

Good luck in the todays experiment!
(1.30 hrs ago RAX should have been started)
I'm with you, listened to your berkeley talk about it, and i'm waiting
for the Mondays 23 log update, if it worked out or not.

esp. those two messages in the live data from RAX seem contradicting to
me:
"camera switch has failed and is not recoverable"
"camera switch is switched on"
---
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html
From: Chuck Fry
In article <·················@judy>,
Reini Urban <······@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> wrote:
>Good luck in the todays experiment!

Thanks, we can all use it!

>I'm with you, listened to your berkeley talk about it, and i'm waiting
>for the Mondays 23 log update, if it worked out or not.

That was Chris Plaunt and me, not Erann, but Erann was and is a key
player on the RAX team.

>esp. those two messages in the live data from RAX seem contradicting to
>me:
>"camera switch has failed and is not recoverable"
>"camera switch is switched on"

This is a simulation of a failure.  The "failure" is that the switch is
stuck on.

 -- Chuck, a bit player on the RAX team
    Not speaking for NASA or the contractor I work for
--
	    Chuck Fry -- Jack of all trades, master of none
 ······@chucko.com (text only please)  ········@home.com (MIME enabled)
From: David Mittman
In article <····················@milo.jpl.nasa.gov>, ···@jpl.nasa.gov
(Erann Gat) wrote:

> The Remote Agent, which is written in Common Lisp, is running aboard
> the NASA DS1 spacecraft.  Lisp is running is space!  See rax.arc.nasa.gov
> for details.

I couldn't let this one pass me by.

Remember Mars Pathfinder and the little rover that could? The software
that planned the surface mission for the Sagan Memorial Station and
Sojourner (not including the specific rover commands), was written in ANSI
Common Lisp, too. Check out an article Franz, Inc. wrote at
<http://www.franz.com/apps/sched/nasa.main.html>. Information about the
mission can be found at <http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/default.html>.

Congratulations, Erann!

We're out there...

David Mittman, MS 264-767                           ·······@jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Laboratory                           Voice:  818-393-1091
4800 Oak Grove Drive                                Fax:    818-393-4426
Pasadena, California 91109-8099                     Pager:  818-541-3015
From: Kent M Pitman
·······@jpl.nasa.gov (David Mittman) writes:

> Congratulations, Erann!
>
> We're out there...

I dunno. I still somehow expect the other languages to make something
negative out of it.  I can just see the headlines: "JPL scientists
finally prove definitively that Lisp can be used nowhere on earth" or
"Crowded out of earth's programming market, desperate Lispers try a
new thrust".

Just kidding, Erann.  Really nice to hear this all happening.
Whether oxygen or memory, can't have our spaceships leaking, can we?
From: Barry Margolin
In article <···············@world.std.com>,
Kent M Pitman  <······@world.std.com> wrote:
>I dunno. I still somehow expect the other languages to make something
>negative out of it.  I can just see the headlines: "JPL scientists
>finally prove definitively that Lisp can be used nowhere on earth" or
>"Crowded out of earth's programming market, desperate Lispers try a
>new thrust".

Actually, it's not far from true.  I seem to recall that Lisp was expected
to have important uses on the International Space Station.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
From: Martin Rodgers
There is a message <···············@world.std.com>
scrawled in the dust by Kent M Pitman in a flowery script, reading:

> I dunno. I still somehow expect the other languages to make something
> negative out of it.  I can just see the headlines: "JPL scientists
> finally prove definitively that Lisp can be used nowhere on earth" or
> "Crowded out of earth's programming market, desperate Lispers try a
> new thrust".

Programmers can also be spindoctors, just like everyone else. ;)

> Just kidding, Erann.  Really nice to hear this all happening.
> Whether oxygen or memory, can't have our spaceships leaking, can we?

I used to read about Forth in space, now it's Lisp. It's all good news.
--
Remove insect from address to email me | You can never browse enough
     will write code that writes code that writes code for food
From: Martin Rodgers
There is a message <··············@fred.muc.de>
scrawled in the dust by Andi Kleen in a flowery script, reading:

> Or given Forth's popularity today it is bad news.

That may be debated. Probably best not here, tho. ;)