From: Asem Daaboul
Subject: DDE
Hello,
does lisp has the ability to exchange data with another .exe files?
for now i write the data to a text file, and then activate the .exe and read
from that text file then write the results to another.
Is there a simpler way??
Best regards.

From: anthony classick
Subject: Re: DDE
There are various ways. If the OS supports pipes, your Prolog might
support pipes between processes (SWI-Prolog on Unix, for instance). You
might also use named pipes. Queues can be used, depending on the OS.
Also, TCP/IP sockets can be used for interprocess communication. That
should be possible under the better Prologs.

From: Jason Trenouth
On Mon, 17 May 1999 04:57:27 GMT, "Asem Daaboul" <······@Cyberia.net.lb>
wrote:

> Hello,
> does lisp has the ability to exchange data with another .exe files?
> for now i write the data to a text file, and then activate the .exe and read
> from that text file then write the results to another.
> Is there a simpler way??
> Best regards.

I don't know about simpler, but there is a better way. Try CORBA. There are
several implementations of CORBA support for Common Lisp, e.g. Harlequin,
Franz, and Xerox PARC. CORBA lets you just make ordinary looking calls in
Common Lisp and the infrastructure takes care of sending a message to, and
getting a reply back from, the other program. You'll also need CORBA support
for the language that the other program is written in.

__Jason
From: Christopher C Stacy
From: Nick Levine
Christopher C Stacy wrote:

> I think Harlequin Lispworks for Windows supports DDE...

It does. See

    http://www.harlequin.com/education/books/lispworks/lww/lwuser/LWUG_123.HTM

- n