From: Jonathan Epstein
Subject: clisp lispinit.mem problem on Irix 6.2
Hi,

I downloaded
  http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/clisp/binaries/sgi-irix62/clisp.tar.gz
and tried to follow the installation instructions on my system:

mgchd1 30% uname -a
IRIX64 mgchd1 6.2 06101031 IP28

After successfully running the 'make', I ran the command:
  base/lisp.run -M base/lispinit.mem
but got the error:
   initialisation file was not created by this version of LISP

I then performed the alternate manual set of instructions.  Now, when I
type "clisp", I still get the above error.

This seems to be a sort of chicken-and-egg problem, where I can't run
clisp because I don't have a good lispinit.mem file, but apparently need
to be able to run lisp in order to construct such a file.

BTW, I prefer clisp over other lisp implementations because it is
recommended for a package called MultiMap which I need to install.  I
prefer not to dust of too much of my 15-year-old lisp knowledge,
although I have been writing some elisp recently.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

- Jonathan
From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: clisp lispinit.mem problem on Irix 6.2
Jonathan Epstein <················@nih.gov> wrote:

> I downloaded
>  http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/clisp/binaries/sgi-irix62/clisp.tar.gz
> but got the error:
>   initialisation file was not created by this version of LISP

You might try the Irix5 binaries instead. Most Irix5 binaries do run on
Irix6 without problems.

If that doesn't work, or if you want some newer clisp version, please take
a look at the snapshot at ftp://cellar.goems.com/pub/clisp/. I don't normally
recommend this snapshot, but on Irix6 it is needed because it fixes a problem
in the previous release (1999-01-08).

                          Bruno                  http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/