From: Robert Kiendl
Subject: XEmacs - ilisp - error
hello!

i have xemacs 20.4. when i do

M-x load-library "ilisp" and M-x run-ilisp with dialect "clisp" clisp
starts correctly inside xemacs and i can work inside the ILISP-buffer.
but xemacs display "(ILISP :error)" in the status-line of this buffer
and i cannot interact with clisp from an other window with source-code
(in lisp-mode) in it.
Is there a bug known?

Thanks.

Robert
From: Hannu Koivisto
Subject: Re: XEmacs - ilisp - error
Robert Kiendl <·······@gmx.net> writes:

| M-x load-library "ilisp" and M-x run-ilisp with dialect "clisp" clisp
| starts correctly inside xemacs and i can work inside the ILISP-buffer.
| but xemacs display "(ILISP :error)" in the status-line of this buffer
| and i cannot interact with clisp from an other window with source-code
| (in lisp-mode) in it.
|
| Is there a bug known?

I haven't seen exactly this kind of behaviour but especially
with some CLISP versions I have seen a bit similar behaviour
when I have forgotten to specify -I parameter to CLISP.  Just in
case you haven't specified it, try it.  You can do that with
``M-: (setq clisp-hs-program "clisp -I")''.

If that doesn't help, few questions: with "i cannot interact",
do you mean nothing happens when you try, for example, `C-c e'
after (format t "foo~%") in your source code buffer?  It doesn't
jam or say anything?  (Hmm, actually, it may not even attempt to
do anything when it is in error state.. can't remember for
sure.)  Does it display "(ILISP :error)" immediately after
code buffer?  Are there any suspicious messages in the lossage
(`C-h l') after loading?

I tried to duplicate this problem quickly, but I didn't succeed
(even when I removed -I) with my XEmacs 20.4 and CLISP
1998-09-09-2, both from the Debian GNU/Linux slink
distribution.

[followups set to comp.emacs.xemacs]

//Hannu