From: IBMackey
Subject: Nedit and Lisp
Does anyone out there use the editor Nedit to edit lisp programming?
If so, any ideas on additional utilities and aids to enhance the
experience?

Thank you

i.b.
From: John Atwood
Subject: Re: Nedit and Lisp
In article <··········@nnrp2.farm.idt.net>, IBMackey <····@stic.net> wrote:
>Does anyone out there use the editor Nedit to edit lisp programming?
>If so, any ideas on additional utilities and aids to enhance the
>experience?

I use it sometimes, but don't really have any suggestions on
enhancements. The paren-matching is about the only lispish
feature that comes to mind. To show callers/callees I use grep in
another window.  The language mode is set to lisp, but I don't
recall that it's any different than Plain. One gotcha is that the
paren-matching doesn't handle lisp comments (semi-colons and
#|'s) and can match the wrong paren if the code has unmatched
paren's within comments.  Things I like about nedit are the
features you'd expect in any modern editor: multiple undo/redo,
open many files at once, rich search/replace, etc.  I had ctags
working at one point, but couldn't make it handle CLOS
defmethods.  I read of nedit's nc but haven't investigated what
it could do for me. Other tools I use (but not integrated with
nedit) are tkdiff and a web browser pointed at the HyperSpec,
cltl2, our local documentation, and of course lisp interpreter
features such as the debugger, tracer, stepper, etc.

Let me know what you turn up.

John Atwood