From: Robert Kiendl
Subject: free (object oriented) windowing systems for lisp (clisp)
Hello

i am really green in lisp, but think this is an exciting language with
unreached dynamic properties and capability for self-referencing, wich
makes it very versatile.

i want to explore this language. but therefore i need graphics
capabilities to get not frustrated. is there any free and well
estabilished up to date graphics and windows system (best a OO-system on
widget level) for either Linux/X or WinNt or even both?
CLX seems very raw, garnet very out-of-date and heavy-weight, CLIM very
expensive, ... I've no plan where to go.

Robert

From: Bill Newman
Robert Kiendl (·······@gmx.net) wrote:
: Hello

: i am really green in lisp, but think this is an exciting language with
: unreached dynamic properties and capability for self-referencing, wich
: makes it very versatile.

: i want to explore this language. but therefore i need graphics
: capabilities to get not frustrated. is there any free and well
: estabilished up to date graphics and windows system (best a OO-system on
: widget level) for either Linux/X or WinNt or even both?
: CLX seems very raw, garnet very out-of-date and heavy-weight, CLIM very
: expensive, ... I've no plan where to go.

"I don't have a [very good] answer, but I admire the question.":-)

I'm fairly comfortable with the Tk graphical toolkit, and there are
some bindings of that to LISP. Unfortunately I haven't yet found a
binding I liked very well.

I've wondered for a while whether it would make sense to use CORBA to
get from Lisp to some graphical user interface. Does anyone know
enough about CORBA to tell me whether that's a reasonable idea? And
does anyone know whether there any nice CORBA-driven UI toolkits out
there in the free software world that could be used for this purpose?

  Bill Newman
  ·······@netcom.com
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Mon, 10 May 1999 18:17:26 GMT, ·······@netcom.com (Bill Newman) wrote:

> I've wondered for a while whether it would make sense to use CORBA to
> get from Lisp to some graphical user interface. Does anyone know
> enough about CORBA to tell me whether that's a reasonable idea? And

You may check the article "Use of WWW Technology for Mission Control
Systems", by S. Haag, J. Gallego and M. Jones, published in the ESA
Bulletin (number 97, March 1999, page 49; ESA is the European Space
Agency). All ESA periodicals are also available online at:

   http://esapub.esrin.esa.it/esapub.html

The article mentions a remote display system developed by Siemens Austria
for an ESA mission control system. That display system, which is not
written in Lisp, uses CORBA and is based on the MVC (Model View Controller)
paradigm.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Bill Newman wrote:

> I've wondered for a while whether it would make sense to use CORBA to
> get from Lisp to some graphical user interface. Does anyone know
> enough about CORBA to tell me whether that's a reasonable idea? And

Your idea makes so much sense that it is now maintream.

> does anyone know whether there any nice CORBA-driven UI toolkits out
> there in the free software world that could be used for this purpose?

GTK+ (see www.gnome.org). The Guile interface is there. Has anybody started
the CL one?

For the original poster, I think this is the way to go.

[How about using this as the substrate for the free CLIM?]
From: Marco Antoniotti
Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:

> Bill Newman wrote:
>
> > I've wondered for a while whether it would make sense to use CORBA to
> > get from Lisp to some graphical user interface. Does anyone know
> > enough about CORBA to tell me whether that's a reasonable idea? And
>
> Your idea makes so much sense that it is now maintream.
>
> > does anyone know whether there any nice CORBA-driven UI toolkits out
> > there in the free software world that could be used for this purpose?
>
> GTK+ (see www.gnome.org). The Guile interface is there. Has anybody started
> the CL one?

GTK does not seem to have a standard way to tie in the main even
processing loop (yet). At least this is what I gathered from the last
perusal of the documentation.  Is it still like this?

Note also that GTK seems to adopt the notion of "one C main = one application".
This does not fit very well with CL. I would also venture to say that
all the support for "applications" present in Xt is a "good" legacy of
the Lisp environments of the time.

Cheers

http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it/~marcoxa
From: Gilbert Baumann
Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:

> GTK+ (see www.gnome.org). The Guile interface is there. Has anybody started
> the CL one?

Visit http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unk6/export/ and help yourself.

Gilbert.
--
;;; You know you have hacked Lisp too much, when you m-c-x in a C buffer.