From: Robert Kiendl
Subject: free (object oriented) windowing systems for lisp (clisp)
Hello

i am really green in lisp, but think this is an exciting language with
unreached dynamic properties and capability for self-referencing, wich
makes it very versatile.

i want to explore this language. but therefore i need graphics
capabilities to get not frustrated. is there any free and well
estabilished up to date graphics and windows system (best a OO-system on
widget level) for either Linux/X or WinNt or even both?
CLX seems very raw, garnet very out-of-date and heavy-weight, CLIM very
expensive, ... I've no plan where to go.

Robert

From: Fernando Mato Mira
Robert Kiendl wrote:

> i want to explore this language. but therefore i need graphics
> capabilities to get not frustrated. is there any free and well
> estabilished up to date graphics and windows system (best a OO-system on
> widget level) for either Linux/X or WinNt or even both?
> CLX seems very raw, garnet very out-of-date and heavy-weight, CLIM very
> expensive, ... I've no plan where to go.

How about joining http://www.cons.org/free-clim/ for an exploration plan?

Regards,
From: Kent M Pitman
Robert Kiendl <·······@gmx.net> writes:

> i want to explore this language. but therefore i need graphics
> capabilities to get not frustrated.

Check out the Association of Lisp Users (ALU) interim web site at
  http://www.elwoodcorp.com/alu/

I hear Garnet might do what you want, so that's a place to start.

Also, the free Personal Edition of Harlequin has quite a bit of
support for windowing in its CAPI system, and some really excellent
examples of making small interfaces.  You won't be able to build
product without buying the product, but you can build things that you
can load into the personal edition.  CAPI is very easy to use but is
NOT based on a GUI-builder, at least not on Windows NT--I haven't seen
their new Linux offering. On the other hand, deploying product once
you buy the Professional Edition of LispWorks does not cost additional
royalty.

I'm not sure if the free Franz offering has built in windowing
support, but it has a very nice IDE/GUI-builder available in its
Personal Edition of Allegro (poor naming coordination between
Harlequin and Franz; Harlequin's Personal Edition corresponds to
Franz's Professional Edition, as nearly as I can tell; Franz calls its
free edition Allegro Lite, or some such).  If it's just for personal
use, I think the Franz Professional edition is well-worth the money,
but it doesn't come with an automatic right to deploy deliverables
without paying additional royalties, so check that issue first before
getting yourself into a bind.
From: Martin Cracauer
Robert Kiendl <·······@gmx.net> writes:

>i want to explore this language. but therefore i need graphics
>capabilities to get not frustrated. is there any free and well
>estabilished up to date graphics and windows system (best a OO-system on
>widget level) for either Linux/X or WinNt or even both?
>CLX seems very raw, garnet very out-of-date and heavy-weight, CLIM very
>expensive, ... I've no plan where to go.

Garnet is what works best for most people using free Lisp systems. It
even supports a SHIFT key. I don't think is is more outdated that the
alternatives or more heavyweigth that CLIM. Look at the CMUCL
distribution sites for small fixes (that apply to the generic code as
well). The real drawback for a newcomer is that it doesn't use CLOS.
While CLOS doesn't have to be better, it would help in gaining CLOSE
knowledge when everingthing is CLOS.

The only GUI systems under maintainance are the commercial ones, where
each implementation has its own. Harhar...

You might also consider cl-http and a Web browser.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Mon, 10 May 1999 12:22:29 +0200, Robert Kiendl <·······@gmx.net> wrote:

> CLX seems very raw, garnet very out-of-date and heavy-weight, CLIM very

Just out of curiosity, which system did you try Garnet with? Did you use
Gilbert Baumann's NCLX, which is faster than CLX?

I have just installed Garnet with CLISP on my Pentium 200 box with 64MB of
RAM, and I find its performance acceptable. I'll try Garnet with ACL and
CMU CL.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>