From: Kaelin Colclasure
Subject: Any users of Harlequin's KnowledgeWorks? Screamer?
I am contemplating a project that will involve a fairly straightforward
inferencing component, and I wondered if and KnowledgeWorks (KW) users
might be lurking about. And especially any KW users who are also familiar
with Screamer and might offer their opinions of how the two compare.

I played a bit with Screamer somewhen back in the mists of antiquity, but
never did get all of it quite working. (I think I was using CMUCL on SunOS
at the time.) The functionality was perfect for what I have in mind -- but
if KW offers similar capabilities off-the-shelf with support, I'd
rather buy it than try to port Screamer.

From: David E. Young
On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Kaelin Colclasure wrote:
>I am contemplating a project that will involve a fairly straightforward
>inferencing component, and I wondered if and KnowledgeWorks (KW) users
>might be lurking about. And especially any KW users who are also familiar
>with Screamer and might offer their opinions of how the two compare...

Hello Kaelin. Some six months or so ago I evaluated KW; as a platform for
building "traditional" rule-based systems it seemed to be just fine. As a bit
of background, I migrated a component from our KBS used for network element
simulation; KW offered the constructs necessary to do the port successfully.

I can't help you with Screamer, but you might also consider having a look at
Loom (http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/LOOM-HOME.html). I'm currently using this
platform for some advanced modeling and reasoning, and it seems quite powerful.

Regards,

David E. Young
Fujitsu Network Communications  "The fact that ... we still
(···········@fnc.fujitsu.com)       live well cannot ease the pain of
                                                 feeling that we no longer live nobly."
                                                  -- John Updike
"Programming should be fun,
 programs should be beautiful"
  -- P. Graham
From: Kaelin Colclasure
From: Jeffrey Mark Siskind
Kaelin Colclasure <······@himalia.talarian.com> writes:
> I played a bit with Screamer somewhen back in the mists of antiquity, but
> never did get all of it quite working. (I think I was using CMUCL on SunOS
> at the time.)

What parts of Screamer didn't work under CMUCL/SunOS? I might be able to help
fix it.

    Jeff (http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/qobi)
From: Kaelin Colclasure
Jeff,

Mea culpa -- after posting my article I recalled that it was ACL/Win 3.1
that I was unsuccessfully trying to coax into swallowing Screamer. It
worked fine (as far as I explored) with CMUCL/SunOS.

ACL/Win has since undergone a major overhaul by Franz, and is now vastly
more compatible -- but this project I want hosted on Solaris, and right
now I don't have *any* CL implementation there. (A situation which I plan
to rectify.) :-)