From: Steve Long
Subject: Labels & flet in defmacro; texts on defmacro; packages
Some questions for you run-time and memory whittlers:

(1) Does the defmacro support the use of labels or flet?

(2) What are the best texts on the use of defmacro (based on
explanations and examples)?

(3) I've seen a LISP object-oriented system (not CLOS) that seems to
create a separate package for every "object template" (it also clobbers
defmethod, which is really annoying). Does anyone think that there is
potentially a large penalty to defining very many packages (say, 5000)?

Thanks,
Steve Long
(...trying to learn faster than I forget...)

From: Erik Naggum
* Steve Long <·········@isomedia.com>
| (1) Does the defmacro support the use of labels or flet?

  why do you think it doesn't?

| (2) What are the best texts on the use of defmacro (based on
| explanations and examples)?

  Paul Graham: On Lisp.

| (3) I've seen a LISP object-oriented system (not CLOS) that seems to
| create a separate package for every "object template" (it also clobbers
| defmethod, which is really annoying). Does anyone think that there is
| potentially a large penalty to defining very many packages (say, 5000)?

  a common implementation of the package system is to use lists for the
  use-list and further to separate external and internal symbols into two
  hash tables.  this means that as the number of packages on the use-list
  grows, so does the number of lookups necessary to find a symbol.  the
  penalty for this linear behavior would occur at read-time, however, and
  is probably not important at run-time.

#:Erik
From: L&D
Problem solved. Discount compiler problem. Sorry about that.

sl

From: Hannu Koivisto
Steve Long <·········@isomedia.com> writes:

| (3) I've seen a LISP object-oriented system (not CLOS) that seems to
| create a separate package for every "object template" (it also clobbers
| defmethod, which is really annoying). Does anyone think that there is

Is this object system [freely] available somewhere?  I'd be
pleased to see it.

//Hannu