From: ··@spam.not
Subject: Can Lisp be used for building executable programs and components for Win32?
One of the most important differences between programming
language environments for a lot of projects is how well they
can build DCOM components and reasonably small executable
program.exe's for Windows 98 and Windows NT.

Are there any reasonably good Lisp development environments
for that situation?  Do they depend on a big DLL to provide
the Lisp environment at run time?

From: Kaelin Colclasure
AFAIK there is no Common Lisp implementation that has achieved this degree
integration with the Windows platform. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken.)

However, if you're not particularly set on Lisp per se, have a good hard
look at Harlequin Dylan. <http://www.harlequin.com/products/ads/dylan/>
Dylan is a dialect of Lisp slightly obscured below an infix syntax -- and
Harlequin Dylan is exceptionally well integrated with Windows. You can
build COM/DCOM components, and the DLL footprint is comparable to using C++
with MFC.
From: Kent M Pitman
Kaelin Colclasure <······@himalia.talarian.com> writes:

> AFAIK there is no Common Lisp implementation that has achieved this degree
> integration with the Windows platform. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken.)

As far as I know, both Franz and Harlequin have the ability do dump out
WIN32 Lisp applications.

Harlequin sells WebMaker, which is a packaged win32 application based on
LispWorks.

Franz not only has the ability to dump out a WIN32 application, but its
IDE will do this for you entirely automatically.  You just build your UI
in a way not dissimilar to VB or Visual Cafe (though I have to say I
personally think it's about 10,000 times more intuitive than those other
languages) and then you pull down to "build exe" and it does it.  It's
a complete piece of cake.

There ARE licensing issues to deal with in the Franz case--and in SOME
cases with Harlequin.  Make sure you find out what the license issues
are before getting yourself in too deep to avoid confusions.

> However, if you're not particularly set on Lisp per se, have a good hard
> look at Harlequin Dylan. <http://www.harlequin.com/products/ads/dylan/>
> Dylan is a dialect of Lisp slightly obscured below an infix syntax -- and
> Harlequin Dylan is exceptionally well integrated with Windows. You can
> build COM/DCOM components, and the DLL footprint is comparable to using C++
> with MFC.

You should double-check the Franz Allegro product.  It advertises
OLE/COM support.

Also, both Franz and Harlequin have lisps that support CORBA.
From: ·········@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Othello
Hi there!

Today I started on a project we have at the university, to create a _simple_
Othello game in Common Lisp. I'm looking for suggestions on books, web pages
or other things that could be helpful developing this game.

Mail me at: ·····@itv.se

Best regards,
Daniel Stenvall

From: Frank A. Adrian
Subject: Re: Othello
You might check out Norvig's +ACI-Paradigms of AI Programming+ACI-.
faa
shine2001+AEA-my-dejanews.com wrote in message
+ADw-7dd56i+ACQ-4n6+ACQ-1+AEA-nnrp1.dejanews.com+AD4-...
+AD4-Hi there+ACE-
+AD4-
+AD4-Today I started on a project we have at the university, to create a
+AF8-simple+AF8-
+AD4-Othello game in Common Lisp. I'm looking for suggestions on books, web
pages
+AD4-or other things that could be helpful developing this game.
+AD4-
+AD4-Mail me at: danne+AEA-itv.se
+AD4-
+AD4-Best regards,
+AD4-Daniel Stenvall
+AD4-
+AD4------------+AD0APQ- Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network +AD0APQ-----------
+AD4-http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own
From: Dario Abdulrehman
·········@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Today I started on a project we have at the university, to create a _simple_
> Othello game in Common Lisp. I'm looking for suggestions on books, web pages
> or other things that could be helpful developing this game.
>
> Mail me at: ·····@itv.se
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel Stenvall

  Check  Peter Norvig's book "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming-
Case studies in Common Lisp", which has a full chapter  - number 18 - devoted
to the
game of Othello.