From: Dave Wallace
Subject: Active lisps
Hello,

 I have played around with lisp in the past , and now I am looking again
to see what kind of nifty toys there are to play with. Are there any
free lisp implementations still in active development?

From: Lars Marius Garshol
Subject: Re: Active lisps
* Dave Wallace

| I have played around with lisp in the past , and now I am looking
| again to see what kind of nifty toys there are to play with. Are
| there any free lisp implementations still in active development?

<URL:http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/systems.htm>

--Lars M.
From: Dave Wallace
Subject: Re: Active lisps -- bootstrapping CMUCL with glibc2.1
Thanks guys, for the links. It is good to see that there is so much going in the
Lisp world. Even traffic on this list seems to be up. I now have CLIPS up and
running but unfortunately I cannot compile CMUCL since the binaries require the
symbol "setfpucw" to be defined, but it is now a macro call in my glibc2.1
library. Is there a way to bootstrap without a pre-compiled version? I tried
accessing the mail-archives, but they are available only through HTTP and the
transfer keeps stalling somewhere around mid 1998 :-(

Thanks again,
Dave.

From: Raymond Toy

    Dave> running but unfortunately I cannot compile CMUCL since the binaries require the
    Dave> symbol "setfpucw" to be defined, but it is now a macro call in my glibc2.1

This problem (setfpucw) has been fixed in the most recent sources, I think.

    Dave> library. Is there a way to bootstrap without a pre-compiled version? I tried

No.  You must have an existing binary to build a new one.

    Dave> accessing the mail-archives, but they are available only through HTTP and the
    Dave> transfer keeps stalling somewhere around mid 1998 :-(

There's some problem with the router or something like that.  It's
supposed to be fixed soon.

Ray
From: Petteri Kangaslampi
On Sat, 20 Mar 1999 10:11:04 -0500, Dave Wallace <········@netgsi.com> wrote:
>running but unfortunately I cannot compile CMUCL since the binaries require the
>symbol "setfpucw" to be defined, but it is now a macro call in my glibc2.1
>library.

I ran into the same problem with CMUCL in Debian Potato. There are a
couple of workarounds, although none really trivial:

1. My own hack: I had a backup of the libraries from glibc2.0 era in
/lib/bak. I made a copy of the old ld.so (even they aren't compatible,
grr) as /lib/ld-linhack.so, edited the binary so that it uses
LD_LINHACK_PATH instead of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, edited the CMUCL binary so
that it uses /lib/ld-linhack.so instead of /lib/ld-linux.so.2, and set
LD_LINHACK_PATH to /lib/bak. Not pretty, but works.

2. As suggested by Peter Van Eynde <········@debian.org>: Create a library
with nothing but __setfpucw and use LD_PRELOAD:
	pvaneynd:~/tmp$ cat fpucw.c
	void __setfpucw(cw)
	{
	        printf("my fpucw \n");
	        asm("fldcw %0" : : "m" (cw));
	}
	pvaneynd:~/tmp$ gcc -fPIC -c fpucw.c ; gcc -shared \
	                -Wl,-soname,libfoo.so.1 -o libfoo.so.1.0 fpucw.o
	pvaneynd:~/tmp$ export LD_PRELOAD=./libfoo.so.1.0
	pvaneynd:~/tmp$ lisp

The printf() is just for testing purposes and can be left out.

Petteri
From: Daniel R Barlow
In article <·······················@simpukka.saunalahti.fi>,
Petteri Kangaslampi <········@sci.fi> wrote:
>2. As suggested by Peter Van Eynde <········@debian.org>: Create a library
>with nothing but __setfpucw and use LD_PRELOAD:

We went through this fun yesterday here too.  Note further that

(a) having this LD_PRELAOD set all the time will cause libc 5 applications
to segfault on startup

(b) so at least we can turn the /usr/bin/lisp into a shell wrapper, right?

#!/bin/sh
LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libkludgefpucw.so
export LD_PRELOAD
exec /usr/bin/lisp.real $*

Not like that you can't, no.  /usr/sbin/cmuclconfig breaks.  What you
actually want in that second line is

exec /usr/bin/lisp.real ······@"}

Hope this helps someone.  Gah

-dan