From: Thomas Frovin Jensen
Subject: Want to learn Lisp. Where do I start?
Hi
Could some give me some advice how to start learning LISP? For several
years I have wanted to lern it, but never had the time. I used to
program in Pascal and assembler in the late seventies and in the
beginning of the eighties. I use PC-compatibles, work with internet
sites etc and development of services in the Information Society.
I have the idea, that LISP might be useful for certain HTML and document
related processes. Any experince with that?

I would appreciate suggestions for programme environment for PC as well
as sources or litterature at entrance level.
best wishes
--
Telematics Consultant
Thomas Frovin Jensen

Guldsmedgade 15,2tv
DK-8000 Aarhus C
Danmark

Tel.   +45 86 13 15 50
Fax    +45 86 18 06 03
GSM    +45 20 11 75 06
E-mail ······@post4.tele.dk

From: Sunil Mishra
Subject: Re: Want to learn Lisp. Where do I start?
Thomas Frovin Jensen <······@post4.tele.dk> writes:

> Hi
> Could some give me some advice how to start learning LISP? For several

Paul Graham's ANSI common lisp is a good introduction. There are also some
web sites with a fair bit of information. The one below I generally find to
be a good starting point.

http://www.elwoodcorp.com/alu/

> years I have wanted to lern it, but never had the time. I used to
> program in Pascal and assembler in the late seventies and in the
> beginning of the eighties. I use PC-compatibles, work with internet
> sites etc and development of services in the Information Society.
> I have the idea, that LISP might be useful for certain HTML and document
> related processes. Any experince with that?

Lisp is great for sorting through complex data structures. Given the
hierarchical structure of HTML documents, Lisp is indeed useful. However,
Lisp does not have a good set of tools for parsing, which poses some
difficulty. Getting over that hump can be a little painful.

> I would appreciate suggestions for programme environment for PC as well
> as sources or litterature at entrance level.

There are two commercial "demos" available for free.

http://www.harlequin.com - Look for the personal edition
http://www.franz.com - I think it's called Allegro lite or something
From: Tim Bradshaw
Sunil Mishra <·······@cleon.cc.gatech.edu> writes:

> Lisp is great for sorting through complex data structures. Given the
> hierarchical structure of HTML documents, Lisp is indeed useful. However,
> Lisp does not have a good set of tools for parsing, which poses some
> difficulty. Getting over that hump can be a little painful.

It is, however, very easy indeed to get one of the sgml parers out
there to spit out a trivially-readable form of your document.  Reading
it then becomes a matter of IO performance pretty much.

I think the default output forma of sgmls (nsgmls) is really easy to read.

--tim
From: Lars Marius Garshol
* Tim Bradshaw

| It is, however, very easy indeed to get one of the sgml parers out
| there to spit out a trivially-readable form of your document.
| Reading it then becomes a matter of IO performance pretty much.

You can also use SX to convert from SGML to XML, and then use CL-XML
to parse the document. As long as the document doesn't use any of the
more obscure SGML features that do not exist in XML this should work
OK.

| I think the default output forma of sgmls (nsgmls) is really easy to
| read.

It's called ESIS, and, yes, it's easy to parse. Many well-known SGML
tools for tcl, Perl etc use this technique.

--Lars M.