From: Demas, Bill
Subject: socket communication
Long time lurker, first time problem poster:

Has anyone had problems communicating between ACL5.0 and Oracle v8
through a socket created by make-socket to a C based process server
using Oracle's OCI functions?

I am running on a Sun Ultra 10 with SunOS v2.5.1. I have created a
server class on the lisp side that contains a slot named net-stream.
The net-stream slot is set to a socket stream created by make-socket. I
pass a string that contains meta-commands (i.e. "logon SID name passwd
version host") through the socket to the C based process server. The
process server parses the string into OCI commands. The OCI command
(orlon = logon) is then executed and the results are passed back to the
server object.

My problem is when I pass the logon command to the process server
through the socket, the server will not connect to Oracle.  It returns
an oracle error 01019 ("unable to allocate memory in the user side").
If I place the "logon" command string in a file and call the C based
process server in a shell window with input from that file, the
connection is made with no problems.

I am communicating with the socket via a format call directed to the
stream in the net-stream slot, so the values passed are contained in a
string. The socket was created using the keys: :type :stream,
:address-family :internet, and :format :text.

Has anyone else encountered problems with sockets similar to this? or am
I not using the socket correctly?

TIA
Bill Demas

From: David B. Lamkins
Subject: Re: socket communication
In article <········································@scra_nt2.scra.org> ,
"Demas, Bill" <·····@scra.org> wrote:

Your problem may have nothing to do with sockets.  Make sure that the oracle
library directory is on your server's path at runtime.  The 01019 error is a
bit of misnomer...

--
David B. Lamkins <http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/>

There are many ways to abbreviate something, but only one way not to.
From: ······@my-dejanews.com
In article <·····················@news1.teleport.com>,
  "David B. Lamkins" <········@teleport.com> wrote:
> In article <········································@scra_nt2.scra.org> ,
> "Demas, Bill" <·····@scra.org> wrote:
>
> Your problem may have nothing to do with sockets.  Make sure that the oracle
> library directory is on your server's path at runtime.  The 01019 error is a
> bit of misnomer...

Thanks David,

My $LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains the $ORACLE_HOME/lib path in the environment that
I start both the server and the lisp image from.  How is the 01019 error a
misnomer?

From: David B. Lamkins
In article <············@nnrp1.dejanews.com> , ······@my-dejanews.com
wrote:

> In article <·····················@news1.teleport.com>,
>   "David B. Lamkins" <········@teleport.com> wrote:
>> In article <········································@scra_nt2.scra.org> ,
>> "Demas, Bill" <·····@scra.org> wrote:
>>
>> Your problem may have nothing to do with sockets.  Make sure that the oracle
>> library directory is on your server's path at runtime.  The 01019 error is a
>> bit of misnomer...
>
> Thanks David,
>
> My $LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains the $ORACLE_HOME/lib path in the environment that
> I start both the server and the lisp image from.  How is the 01019 error a
> misnomer?

I've seen the 01019 error pop up in situations that have nothing to do with
memory.  IIRC, this happened to me when I failed to export ORACLE_HOME.

--
David B. Lamkins <http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/>

Wintel is the Yugo of the computer world: cheap to buy, costly to keep.
From: ······@my-dejanews.com
In article <·····················@news1.teleport.com>,
  "David B. Lamkins" <········@teleport.com> wrote:
> In article <············@nnrp1.dejanews.com> , ······@my-dejanews.com
> wrote:
>
> I've seen the 01019 error pop up in situations that have nothing to do with
> memory.  IIRC, this happened to me when I failed to export ORACLE_HOME.

Thanks again David,

The ORACLE_HOME setting was the problem. I unsetenv it, then tried to run the
server in a shell window.  I got the same 01019 error that I received from the
lisp socket.  I'll rebuild my server to include the ORACLE_HOME.