From: Scott
Subject: Help with I/O
Here is the problem:
I have some ASCII text files that I would like to combine and convert to
binary files using LISP.
File 1 : 1000 2000 5 9 1000
 3000 9000 12 3 5000

File 2 : 1 3 SMITH 1200 SS
	2 9 JONES 1200 OJ

In File 1 the fields must be output in 2 , 2, 1, 1, and 2 bytes
respectively in Binary format.
In File 2 the fields must be output in 1,1,14, 2, and 2 bytes
respectively in Binary format.
File one would be converted to binary then file 2 converted and appended
to file 1. In addition, I have to add a header at the beginning of my
new file which would tell me the offset of the start of each file.

I know how to do this in C using structures but I am not aware of how to
output individual fields in specific byte amounts in LISP. Also I am not
sure of the best way to get the offset at the top of the file; it seems
as if I will have to save a space at the top of the file, get my
offsets, then fill in the space. I am a self taught LISPer so I have
some holes in my knowledge. These are not the actual files I am using
but I figured if I can understand how to do these, I should have a good
understanding.

Thanks,
Scott