From: Michael Covington
Subject: Wilensky, Common LISPcraft
In the copy that I have of this book (first printing), there is a systematic
printing error -- nearly all the quotes are printed as backquotes (opening
quotes); apparently the Lisp code was processed by typesetting software that
has "smart quotes" and didn't know that Lisp isn't English.

Was this error corrected in later printings?

--
Michael A. Covington - Artificial Intelligence Ctr - University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.CovingtonInnovations.com  <><

From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: Wilensky, Common LISPcraft
"Michael Covington" <··@ai.uga.edu> writes:

> In the copy that I have of this book (first printing), there is a systematic
> printing error -- nearly all the quotes are printed as backquotes (opening
> quotes); apparently the Lisp code was processed by typesetting software that
> has "smart quotes" and didn't know that Lisp isn't English.
>
> Was this error corrected in later printings?

I'm not sure what version I'm looking at.  It's copywrite 1984.  I see almost
no backquotes, except in the appendix, where they summarize Franz LISP
functions, including quote!, where they show how the backquote can be used in
its place.

So, in a nutshell, "Yes", I'm looking at the same book, probably a newer
printing, where there's mostly regular quotes.

dave
From: Michael A. Covington
Just to get it clear -- in their typeface, a backquote looks like a tiny 6,
and a regular quote looks like a tiny 9.  Is that what you're seeing?

Also, I'm talking about Common LISPcraft, not LISPcraft (which used Franz
Lisp).

--
Michael A. Covington, Ph.D.  /  Consultant
COVINGTON INNOVATIONS - Art, Science, and Technology
From: David Bakhash
"Michael A. Covington" <·········@mindspring.com> writes:

> Also, I'm talking about Common LISPcraft, not LISPcraft (which used Franz
> Lisp).

oh.  whoops.  I was looking at Lispcraft.  Never knew that he did a "Common
Lispcraft".

Sorry.

dave

(p.s. I _did_ get the [back-]quote stuff right, though.

dave