From: Jonathan
Subject: Nasty Lisp meme
Ever since I started to learn Lisp, I've had this really nasty problem:
Whenever I see a row of right parens together, eg like this   "(cons sym
nil))))))" - my brain translates the rights parens into a sort of  "boing"
sound of the type comic books use when something springy is happening.  I
asked a friend whether he had the same problem and he said, no, he didn't.
But when I saw him again an hour later, the meme had got him too, and he was
now hearing the boing. It's really very annoying. Does anyone else have this
problem?

Jonathan Coupe

From: thi
Subject: Re: Nasty Lisp meme
"Jonathan" <········@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Ever since I started to learn Lisp, I've had this really nasty
> problem: Whenever I see a row of right parens together, eg like this
> "(cons sym nil))))))" - my brain translates the rights parens into a
> sort of "boing" sound of the type comic books use when something
> springy is happening.  I asked a friend whether he had the same
> problem and he said, no, he didn't.  But when I saw him again an hour
> later, the meme had got him too, and he was now hearing the
> boing. It's really very annoying. Does anyone else have this problem?

the general problem (perceiving parens in the first place) will go away
after a while.  no worries.

thi
From: Vassil Nikolov
On 1999-06-26 18:33 +0100,
Jonathan wrote:

  > Ever since I started to learn Lisp, I've had this really nasty problem:
  > Whenever I see a row of right parens together, eg like this   "(cons sym
  > nil))))))" - my brain translates the rights parens into a sort of  "boing"
  > sound of the type comic books use when something springy is happening.  I
  > asked a friend whether he had the same problem and he said, no, he didn't.
  > But when I saw him again an hour later, the meme had got him too, and he was
  > now hearing the boing. It's really very annoying. Does anyone else have this
  > problem?

I'd say there are two ways to perceive right parentheses in Lisp:

* not pay much attention to them but instead rely on indentation to
  determine where lists end, which is the usual case;

* use one of the several ways to have the editor show the left
  parenthesis that matches a specific right parenthesis (the one
  at the cursor position, where the latter phrase means e.g. `to the
  left of the point in Emacs').

If none of the above were available, perhaps right parentheses would
be a problem (until people developed the appropriate tools, of course).

Vassil Nikolov
Permanent forwarding e-mail: ········@poboxes.com
For more: http://www.poboxes.com/vnikolov
  Abaci lignei --- programmatici ferrei.
From: Kent M Pitman
"Jonathan" <········@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> my brain translates the rights parens into a sort of  "boing"
> sound of the type comic books use when something springy is happening.

It's saving you from an "ouch" noise which you'd hear if you
ran into the end of the buffer without closing them.

It may help to notice that sometimes in the cartoons the boing
noise is helpful, not hurtful.  For example, if you're falling off
a cliff with a bungee cord attached.  Not hearing the "boing" can
be annoying.

From: Jonathan
Kent wrote:

>It may help to notice that sometimes in the cartoons the boing
>noise is helpful, not hurtful.  For example, if you're falling off
>a cliff with a bungee cord attached.  Not hearing the "boing" can
>be annoying.

Especially to the person who has to clean up afterwards - which is just like
most software projects I've been on, come to think of it....

Jonathan Coupe
From: Tom Breton
"Jonathan" <········@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> nil))))))" - my brain translates the rights parens into a sort of  "boing"
> sound of the type comic books use when something springy is happening.  I
> asked a friend whether he had the same problem and he said, no, he didn't.
> But when I saw him again an hour later, the meme had got him too, and he was
> now hearing the boing. It's really very annoying. Does anyone else have this
> problem?

No, despite your attempt to give it to us.  }:)

Don't worry, it'll wear off after a while.  I would think it would be
harder to *remember* to always hear "boiing".

--
Tom Breton, http://world.std.com/~tob
Ugh-free Spelling (no "gh") http://world.std.com/~tob/ugh-free.html
From: Jonathan
Tom Breton wrote in message ...
>"Jonathan" <········@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
>
>> nil))))))" - my brain translates the rights parens into a sort of
"boing"
>> sound of the type comic books use when something springy is happening.  I
>> asked a friend whether he had the same problem and he said, no, he
didn't.
>> But when I saw him again an hour later, the meme had got him too, and he
was
>> now hearing the boing. It's really very annoying. Does anyone else have
this
>> problem?
>
>No, despite your attempt to give it to us.  }:)

It's not me, honestly - it's the meme. Although your }:) looks *much*
worse - that's  the sound breakfast cereal makes when a cat treads on it,
right?

Jonathan
From: Reini Urban
with notepad autolisp programming
  (people actually complained about supporting better editors
   with syntax coloring and paren flashing!)
people don't hear this single "boiing" sound,
it's more like counting loudly "1-2-3-2-3-well",
raising and lowering the sound as in "do-re-mi-fa-so-la-si-do".

people became actually brilliant counters, which was helpful in doing
the mass calculations. ("please could you count the screws for me")

test:

(remove-if
 '(lambda (seg)
    (equalp (x-of (car l)) (x-of (car seg))))
  rfound)

"1-2-3! 2-3-4-5! 3-4-5! 1-okay"
 up   low    up!low up!low

--
Reini Urban, ······@x-ray.at  http://www.x-ray.at/
From: Jens Kilian
······@xarch.tu-graz.ac.at (Reini Urban) writes:
> "1-2-3! 2-3-4-5! 3-4-5! 1-okay"

[Flash of inspiration]
That's it!  That's what the singers in "Einstein on the Beach"[1] are doing,
counting parentheses!

;-)
	Jens.

[1] An opera by Philip Glass; a large part of the text consists of strings
    of digits.  "1 2 3 4 5 6, <pause> 2 3 4 5 6, <pause> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8" etc.
--
··········@acm.org                 phone:+49-7031-14-7698 (HP TELNET 778-7698)
  http://www.bawue.de/~jjk/          fax:+49-7031-14-7351
From: Steve Long
Jonathan wrote:

> Ever since I started to learn Lisp, I've had this really nasty problem:
> Whenever I see a row of right parens together, eg like this   "(cons sym
> nil))))))" - my brain translates the rights parens into a sort of  "boing"
> sound of the type comic books use when something springy is happening.  I
> asked a friend whether he had the same problem and he said, no, he didn't.
> But when I saw him again an hour later, the meme had got him too, and he was
> now hearing the boing. It's really very annoying. Does anyone else have this
> problem?
>
> Jonathan Coupe

Weird. I hear a "Boeing" sound all day long. And I do hear someone whispering
"pound-tick-lambda" in the background.

Switch to C++ and tell us how }}}}}}}}}}}}} sounds.

sl
From: Jeff Dalton
Steve Long <··············@boeing.com> writes:

> > Ever since I started to learn Lisp, I've had this really nasty problem:
> > Whenever I see a row of right parens together, eg like this   "(cons sym
> > nil))))))" - my brain translates the rights parens into a sort of  "boing"
> > sound of the type comic books use when something springy is happening.

> Switch to C++ and tell us how }}}}}}}}}}}}} sounds.

Of course, it's normally written like this
                                                }
                                            }
                                        }
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

which sound like ...?
From: Barry Margolin
In article <··············@todday.aiai.ed.ac.uk>,
Jeff Dalton  <····@todday.aiai.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>Steve Long <··············@boeing.com> writes:
>> Switch to C++ and tell us how }}}}}}}}}}}}} sounds.
>
>Of course, it's normally written like this
>                                                }
>                                            }
>                                        }
>                                    }
>                                }
>                            }
>                        }
>                    }
>                }
>            }
>        }
>    }
>}
>
>which sound like ...?

The first thing that comes to mind is "Aaaahhhhh!!!!" -- the sound of
someone screaming as they fall off a precipice.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
From: Martin Rodgers
In article <·····················@burlma1-snr2>,
······@bbnplanet.com says...

> The first thing that comes to mind is "Aaaahhhhh!!!!" -- the sound of
> someone screaming as they fall off a precipice.

Same here. Code like that gives me verigo, whatever the
language. I don't like nesting too deep, but others don't seem
to mind. Perhaps they use crampons of whatever they're called.
I also don't like functions that span multiple pages, and the
examples that I find in other people's code (not usually Lisp)
also tends to nest deeply.

Examples like the one given earlier, "(cons sym nil))))))",
are not uncommon in Lisp, but I think this is because the use
of prefix instead of infix exposes makes certain relationships
in expressions explicit instead of implicit.

Other things, like type info, may be more implicit. This is a
fine trade, as far as I'm concerned.
--
Remove insect from address | You can never browse enough
will write code that writes code that writes code for food
From: Kent M Pitman
Jeff Dalton <····@todday.aiai.ed.ac.uk> writes:

> Steve Long <··············@boeing.com> writes:
>
> > > Ever since I started to learn Lisp, I've had this really nasty problem:
> > > Whenever I see a row of right parens together, eg like this   "(cons sym
> > > nil))))))" - my brain translates the rights parens into a sort of  "boing"
> > > sound of the type comic books use when something springy is happening.
>
> > Switch to C++ and tell us how }}}}}}}}}}}}} sounds.
>
> Of course, it's normally written like this
>                                                 }
>                                             }
>                                         }
>                                     }
>                                 }
>                             }
>                         }
>                     }
>                 }
>             }
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> which sound like ...?

Ok, I'll take a stab at this ...

Sounds like a "diagonalization" of the space of programs.  A
concession to the "real" world of programs.  Perhaps there is a larger
infinity of C programs than Lisp programs, which programs are only
"rational", as we all know, and so perhaps are among a space of only
countably many rational programs--unlike the uncountably many losing C
programs. C programmers, I'd conclude, work hard to pick up the
"irrational" ones along the way, and these little diagonals are just
telltale hints of their desire to do that.
                                                ;-)
From: Erik Naggum
* Jeff Dalton <····@todday.aiai.ed.ac.uk>
| Of course, it's normally written like this
|                                                 }
|                                             }
|                                         }
|                                     }
|                                 }
|                             }
|                         }
|                     }
|                 }
|             }
|         }
|     }
| }
|
| which sound like ...?

  Chinese water torture?

#:Erik
--
@1999-07-22T00:37:33Z -- pi billion seconds since the turn of the century
From: Tom Kramer
* Jeff Dalton <····@todday.aiai.ed.ac.uk>
| Of course, it's normally written like this
|                                                 }
|                                             }
|                                         }
|                                     }
|                                 }
|                             }
|                         }
|                     }
|                 }
|             }
|         }
|     }
| }
|
| which sound like ...?

This is half of a flock of geese in V-formation.
It goes honk, honk.

Tom Kramer
From: William Deakin
Tom Kramer wrote:

> * Jeff Dalton <····@todday.aiai.ed.ac.uk>
> | Of course, it's normally written like this
> |                                                 }
> |                                             }
> |                                         }
> |                                     }
> |                                 }
> |                             }
> |                         }
> |                     }
> |                 }
> |             }
> |         }
> |     }
> | }
> |
> | which sound like ...?
>
> This is half of a flock of geese in V-formation.
> It goes honk, honk.
>
> Tom Kramer

or SCHHHEEEECH like baby seagulls at 4:40am

and i should know.

Cheers,

Will
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Tom Kramer wrote:

> * Jeff Dalton <····@todday.aiai.ed.ac.uk>
> | Of course, it's normally written like this
> |                                                 }
> |                                             }
> |                                         }
> |                                     }
> |                                 }
> |                             }
> |                         }
> |                     }
> |                 }
> |             }
> |         }
> |     }
> | }
> |
> | which sound like ...?
>
> This is half of a flock of geese in V-formation.
> It goes honk, honk.

Looks more like bats to me.
From: Vassil Nikolov
On 1999-07-06 13:08 +0000,
Tom Kramer wrote:

  > * Jeff Dalton <····@todday.aiai.ed.ac.uk>
  > | Of course, it's normally written like this
  > |                                                 }
  > |                                             }
  > |                                         }
  > |                                     }
  > |                                 }
  > |                             }
  > |                         }
  > |                     }
  > |                 }
  > |             }
  > |         }
  > |     }
  > | }
  > |
  > | which sound like ...?
  >
  > This is half of a flock of geese in V-formation.
  [...]

Wild geese chased by the programmer?

From: Duane Rettig
Vassil Nikolov <········@poboxes.com> writes:

> On 1999-07-06 13:08 +0000,
> Tom Kramer wrote:
>
>   > * Jeff Dalton <····@todday.aiai.ed.ac.uk>
>   > | Of course, it's normally written like this
>   > |                                                 }
>   > |                                             }
>   > |                                         }
>   > |                                     }
>   > |                                 }
>   > |                             }
>   > |                         }
>   > |                     }
>   > |                 }
>   > |             }
>   > |         }
>   > |     }
>   > | }
>   > |
>   > | which sound like ...?
>   >
>   > This is half of a flock of geese in V-formation.
>   [...]
>
> Wild geese chased by the programmer?

No, chasing the programmer.

Ever been bitten by a goose?  Wild or not, it hurts.

:-)

--
Duane Rettig          Franz Inc.            http://www.franz.com/ (www)
1995 University Ave Suite 275  Berkeley, CA 94704
From: Michael Dingler
> > Switch to C++ and tell us how }}}}}}}}}}}}} sounds.
>
> Of course, it's normally written like this
>                                                 }
>                                             }
>                                         }
>                                     }
>                                 }
>                             }
>                         }
>                     }
>                 }
>             }
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> which sound like ...?

"Captain Adama, the Cylon fighters are approaching!"

...Michael...
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 02 Jul 1999 15:10:20 +0100, Jeff Dalton <····@todday.aiai.ed.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Of course, it's normally written like this
>                                                 }
>                                             }
>                                         }
>                                     }
>                                 }
>                             }
>                         }
>                     }
>                 }
>             }
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> which sound like ...?

Is this a sort of inkblot test for programmers? :-)

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: Martin Rodgers
In article <···············@news.mclink.it>, ·······@mclink.it says...

> Is this a sort of inkblot test for programmers? :-)

If it is, then I'd say it looks like an invisible cascade thread.
Alternatelly, it might be an extensible mexican wave. If it changes
direction, we could call it reflective.