From: Wolfgang Wagner
Subject: Common Lisp and Motif
Hi All,

How can I include some motif-functions (X11) in common lisp ?
Is that possible ?

Sorry, if the question is off-topic...

Bye
         Wolfgang

From: Eric Marsden
Subject: Re: Common Lisp and Motif

  ww> How can I include some motif-functions (X11) in common lisp ?
  ww> Is that possible ?

CMUCL (a high performance free implementation of Common Lisp) includes
a motif binding, which even works with the free LessTif implementation
of the motif API. See

   <URL:http://cmucl.cons.org/>

--
                        JOIN THE CAMPAIGN AGAINST SIGNATURE COMMERCIALS

>   ww> How can I include some motif-functions (X11) in common lisp ?
>   ww> Is that possible ?

> CMUCL (a high performance free implementation of Common Lisp) includes
> a motif binding, which even works with the free LessTif implementation
> of the motif API. See

>    <URL:http://cmucl.cons.org/>

Thanks to all.

Bye
    Wolfgang
From: Wolfgang Wagner
Eric Marsden <········@mail.dotcom.fr> wrote:

>   ww> How can I include some motif-functions (X11) in common lisp ?
>   ww> Is that possible ?

> CMUCL (a high performance free implementation of Common Lisp) includes
> a motif binding, which even works with the free LessTif implementation
> of the motif API. See
>    <URL:http://cmucl.cons.org/>

Please help. How can I compile the sources on a Dec-Unix 4.0C platform ?
There ist no readme and no global makefile...

Bye...
	Wolfgang
From: R. Toy
Wolfgang Wagner wrote:
> Please help. How can I compile the sources on a Dec-Unix 4.0C platform ?
> There ist no readme and no global makefile...

It's extremely hard to compile CMUCL, and to do that, you need a working
version of CMUCL anyway.

There's a version for a DEC Alpha on www.cons.org, I think.  Perhaps
that will work on your platform.

Ray
From: Hartmann Schaffer
> It's extremely hard to compile CMUCL, and to do that, you need a working
> version of CMUCL anyway.
>
> There's a version for a DEC Alpha on www.cons.org, I think.  Perhaps
> that will work on your platform.

Is for Digital Unix or Linux?  Does it matter?  Assuming it isn't ready
to run under Linux and I have it running on a Pentium with Linux, how
hard would it be to build an Alpha/Linux version.  Are there any
guidelines available?

Hartmann Schaffer
From: Christopher R. Barry
··@inferno.nirvananet (Hartmann Schaffer) writes:

> In article <·················@mindspring.com>,
> 	"R. Toy" <····@mindspring.com> writes:
> > It's extremely hard to compile CMUCL, and to do that, you need a working
> > version of CMUCL anyway.
> >
> > There's a version for a DEC Alpha on www.cons.org, I think.  Perhaps
> > that will work on your platform.
>
> Is for Digital Unix or Linux?

It's for Digital Unix.

> Does it matter?

Yes.

> Assuming it isn't ready to run under Linux and I have it running on
> a Pentium with Linux, how hard would it be to build an Alpha/Linux
> version.

Quite difficult. You'll need to do a cross-compile from your
pentium/Linux box, after you port the Digital Unix port (which by the
way was recently done and could be considered preliminary) to Alpha
Linux.

> Are there any guidelines available?

Grab the cmucl-imp mail archives from cons.org. Plan on this taking at
least 1-2 weeks of your time, if you have the skill to do it.

Christopher
From: Pierre R. Mai
······@2xtreme.net (Christopher R. Barry) writes:

> > Is for Digital Unix or Linux?
>
> It's for Digital Unix.
>
> > Does it matter?
>
> Yes.

Hmmm, isn't there some form of binary compatability between Digital
Unix (now called Tru64?  DEC/Compaq are changing the name of that
operating system more often than I care to think of) and Linux?
Although this might involve having the DEC libc (and/or other
libraries), depending on whether the CMU CL port for Digital Unix is
statically linked or not, and whether there's a compatibility layer
for GNU libc. So you might still need a Digital Unix licence...

Or I'm simply confusing this with the SPARC/UltraSPARC versions of
Linux (the Alphas I still have all run under Digital Unix, or indeed
DEC OSF/1 ;).

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Fernando Mato Mira
"Pierre R. Mai" wrote:

> Unix (now called Tru64?  DEC/Compaq are changing the name of that

Remember, it's not DEC, it's Digital!  ;->
From: Martin Cracauer
····@acm.org (Pierre R. Mai) writes:

>······@2xtreme.net (Christopher R. Barry) writes:

>> > Is for Digital Unix or Linux?
>>
>> It's for Digital Unix.
>>
>> > Does it matter?
>>
>> Yes.

>Hmmm, isn't there some form of binary compatability between Digital
>Unix (now called Tru64?  DEC/Compaq are changing the name of that
>operating system more often than I care to think of) and Linux?

For starters, such emulations usually don't go as far as to reproduce
the excact behaviour of signals handlers with their platform-specific
extensions, usually two additonal arguments or an implementation of
SA_SIGINFO. CMUCL needs there arguments to get the status of the
machine "outside" the signal handler.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/
From: Wolfgang Wagner
R. Toy <····@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> Please help. How can I compile the sources on a Dec-Unix 4.0C platform ?
>> There ist no readme and no global makefile...

> It's extremely hard to compile CMUCL, and to do that, you need a working
> version of CMUCL anyway.

Yes, I found any install scripts written in lisp...

> There's a version for a DEC Alpha on www.cons.org, I think.  Perhaps
> that will work on your platform.

Ok. I have download the binarys, and now I will test ist. Thanks.

Bye...
	Wolfgang
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Wolfgang Wagner wrote:

> Please help. How can I compile the sources on a Dec-Unix 4.0C platform ?
> There ist no readme and no global makefile...

If you don't have another machine with CMUCL 18 binaries to crosscompile,
try bootstrapping with a 17f binary for your platform:

ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/clisp/release/
From: Mike McDonald
In article <··············@enterprise.gdpm.no>,
	······@gdpm.no (Lars Bj�nnes) writes:
> Wolfgang Wagner <·······@minima.rhein.de> writes:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> How can I include some motif-functions (X11) in common lisp ?
>> Is that possible ?
>

> Take a look at the Xlib and Mesa bindings found on this page:
>
> <URL:http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/mann/software-available.html>

  There's also the CLM stuff that comes with CMUCL: http://www.cons.org/cmucl/.
It makes FFI calls to a daemon that creates and manages Motif widgets.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com