From: alex hall
Subject: COM with LISP
Hi,

Is it possible to create COM objects with LISP ?
(any version - tho prefereably franz allegro)

We have a lot of rules based code that we are looking to moving to
a web front end, and rather than rewriting it we'd like
to wrap it up as a COM object and call it from an ASP application.

thanks

alex hall

From: Thomas A. Russ
Subject: Re: COM with LISP
··············@nospam.com (alex hall) writes:

> We have a lot of rules based code that we are looking to moving to
> a web front end, and rather than rewriting it we'd like
> to wrap it up as a COM object and call it from an ASP application.

Another approach would be to run CL-HTTP and have the Lisp code execute
directly in a Lisp-based server.  CL-HTTP works with ACL (among many
other Lisps).  You could run the CL-HTTP server code on a different port
and have both servers operating on the same machine.

From: Arthur Lemmens
alex hall wrote:

> Is it possible to create COM objects with LISP ?
> (any version - tho prefereably franz allegro)

I don't know about Allegro, but the manual for Corman Common Lisp
(http://corman.net/CommonLisp.html) says: "Corman Lisp is built as an
in-process COM server".

If you're willing to do the dirty work yourself, I suppose you can also
create COM objects with any Lisp that has a foreign function interface.

Arthur Lemmens
From: Reini Urban
Arthur Lemmens wrote:
> I don't know about Allegro, but the manual for Corman Common Lisp
> (http://corman.net/CommonLisp.html) says: "Corman Lisp is built as an
> in-process COM server".
>
> If you're willing to do the dirty work yourself, I suppose you can also
> create COM objects with any Lisp that has a foreign function interface.

corman lisp exactly forces you to do that :)
there's only limited support to create components. (IMalloc)

with acl5 it is much better!
--
reini