From: Xin Wang
Subject: Use Lisp code in Java
Hi,

I want to use a block of  LISP code (some function) in my Java program. I
don't know if it can get accomplished. Does anyone can give me some clue?
I'd appreciated it if someone would like to help me. Please reply to
····@uic.edu

Jie

From: Kucera, Rich
don't go there -R

From: Robert Monfera
Subject: Re: Use Lisp code in Java
"Kucera, Rich" wrote:

> don't go there -R

If you really have to, check out Kawa:

http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/

From: Shannon Spires
In article <·················@fisec.com>, ·······@fisec.com wrote:

> "Kucera, Rich" wrote:
> >
> > don't go there -R
>
> If you really have to, check out Kawa:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/

Peter Norvig also did a nice Scheme in Java:
http://www.norvig.com/SILK.html

Shannon Spires
(format nil ···@~A.~C~C~C" "svspire" "telespin" #\c #\o #\m)
From: David Bakhash
This will likely depend on which Lisp implementations you have access to.
Java allows you to use "native" code, which in javaspeak is compiled code.  It
doesn't care what language the src comes from.  But, if it's Lisp code, then
you'll have to compile it, and not every Lisp lets you do that.  You'll
probably need access to ACL or LispWorks.

I suspect that this will be difficult, if not impossible, to justify.  It
would make so much more sense to re-write the code in Java, if the rest of it
is in Java.  Otherwise, try to run the Lisp stuff separately, and maybe allow
for some inter-process communication, maybe over sockets or something.

wishing I could be of real help here,
dave
From: Jim White
>don't know if it can get accomplished. Does anyone can give me some
clue?
>I'd appreciated it if someone would like to help me. Please reply to

The Kawa Scheme for Java is the best:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/>

Not only can you use LISP code from Java and vice-versa, but it will
also happily compile the code to .class or .zip files if you like.

There are about over a dozen LISP dialects listed at the Languages for
the Java VM page:
<http://grunge.cs.tu-berlin.de/~tolk/vmlanguages.html>

jim
James P. White             Netscape DevEdge Champion for IFC
IFC Exchange  -  Insanely great Java  -  http://www.ifcx.org