From: Pierpaolo Bernardi
Subject: 02AA: Importance of Lisp acknowledged by i18n community.
The soon to be released Unicode 3.0 Standard will contain a Lisp
character:

02AA	LATIN SMALL LETTER LS DIGRAPH
	* lateral alveolar fricative (lisp)

This will be a powerful pro-lisp argument with pointy haired managers,
I think.

Apart from B and C and J, which other programming languages have a
character named after them?

8-)

Anonymous.

From: Pekka P. Pirinen
········@cli.di.unipi.it (Pierpaolo Bernardi) writes:
> Apart from B and C and J, which other programming languages have a
> character named after them?
>
> 8-)

How could you forget T?

K <URL:http://www.kx.com/> was also recently discussed on this group.

There's also Z, the specification language.

If you went through all the experimental and hobbyist efforts, I'm
sure you'd find that all the Latin characters are actually derived
from programming language names!
--
Pekka P. Pirinen
Harlequin Group plc (but not for long)
From: Klaus Schilling
·····@harlequin.co.uk (Pekka P. Pirinen) writes:

> ········@cli.di.unipi.it (Pierpaolo Bernardi) writes:
> > Apart from B and C and J, which other programming languages have a
> > character named after them?
> >
> > 8-)
>
> How could you forget T?
>
> K <URL:http://www.kx.com/> was also recently discussed on this group.
>
> There's also Z, the specification language.
>
> If you went through all the experimental and hobbyist efforts, I'm
> sure you'd find that all the Latin characters are actually derived
> from programming language names!

E and F

Klaus Schilling
From: Michael Livshin
Klaus Schilling <···············@home.ivm.de> writes:

> ·····@harlequin.co.uk (Pekka P. Pirinen) writes:
>
> > ········@cli.di.unipi.it (Pierpaolo Bernardi) writes:
> > > Apart from B and C and J, which other programming languages have a
> > > character named after them?
> >
> > How could you forget T?
> >
> > K <URL:http://www.kx.com/> was also recently discussed on this group.
> >
> > There's also Z, the specification language.
> >
> > If you went through all the experimental and hobbyist efforts, I'm
> > sure you'd find that all the Latin characters are actually derived
> > from programming language names!
>
> E and F

where can I find any information about E?

I'm curious because the language of my employer's product is also
called E.  I wonder if there's any other language with the same name.

> Klaus Schilling

-- mike
From: Samuel A. Falvo II
On 5 Jul 1999 16:09:19 GMT, Pierpaolo Bernardi <········@cli.di.unipi.it> wrote:
>Apart from B and C and J, which other programming languages have a
>character named after them?

E.

And Forth (originally to be called Fourth) has a number.  What other
languages have a NUMBER?  ;)  (Fifth comes to mind.)

So what's this character USED for?

      KC5TJA/6     |                  -| TEAM DOLPHIN |-
        DM13       |                  Samuel A. Falvo II
    QRP-L #1447    |          http://www.dolphin.openprojects.net
   Oceanside, CA   |......................................................
From: Franck Pissotte
> >Apart from B and C and J, which other programming languages have a
> >character named after them?

there is a notation for proving computation named Z.

> And Forth (originally to be called Fourth) has a number.  What other
> languages have a NUMBER?  ;)  (Fifth comes to mind.)

PL1 stand for Programming language one

Question: What Scheme and Forth have in common?
Response: the first operating system where they be implemented have only
6 char for filename.
will be Schemer and Fourth have been different?
From: Samuel A. Falvo II
On Tue, 03 Aug 1999 20:28:34 GMT, Franck Pissotte <···············@online.fr> wrote:
>Question: What Scheme and Forth have in common?
>Response: the first operating system where they be implemented have only
>6 char for filename.

Not quite correct.  Fourth was written on a machine that had only five
characters for a filename -- hence Forth.  (In particular, I think the
machine was an IBM 7040, but I'm not too sure.)  :-)

>will be Schemer and Fourth have been different?

Doubt it.

From: Pekka P. Pirinen
······@dolphin.openprojects.net (Samuel A. Falvo II) writes:
> And Forth (originally to be called Fourth) has a number.  What other
> languages have a NUMBER?  ;)  (Fifth comes to mind.)

C and ML.

There's also an object-oriented extension to Z, called ZERO.

Getting more obscure, Ten15, the intermediate language that was the
predecessor to TDF <URL:http://alph.dra.hmg.gb/TenDRA/tdf/spec4.html>,
a.k.a. the sadly unappreciated ANDF (Architecture Neutral Distribution
Format) of OSF.
--
Pekka P. Pirinen, Adaptive Memory Management Team, Harlequin Limited
"If you don't look after knowledge, it goes away."
From: Samuel A. Falvo II
On 03 Aug 1999 15:40:33 +0100, Pekka P. Pirinen <·····@harlequin.co.uk> wrote:
>Getting more obscure, Ten15, the intermediate language that was the
>predecessor to TDF <URL:http://alph.dra.hmg.gb/TenDRA/tdf/spec4.html>,
>a.k.a. the sadly unappreciated ANDF (Architecture Neutral Distribution
>Format) of OSF.

Unappreciated only because it's not a truely open standard.  Release the
specifications for free (of which I was completely unable to find on OSF's
site), and I can guarantee you a much larger amount of support for it will
materialize.  I can agree that paying for a hardcopy version of the standard
is justified -- even for profit.  But last I checked, the spec was not
available for free download.  CORBA, OTOH, is a beautifully maintained
specification, which is available in hardcopy ($$), or directly on the web
as a set of downloads (usually .pdf files).

I'll review the web URL given above.  But I recall going there before not
finding any amount of useful information, other than, "Wow, this is really
cool stuff," and "This is how <insert some company whose name you never
heard of before> used ANDF to make <insert some program whose name you never
heard of before> run under multiple UNIX operating systems."

Billy Tanksley and I looked into the possibility of using ANDF (and possibly
XANDF), and neither of us, at that time, could drudge up one lick of
information on its format, its semantics, etc.  Likewise with JUICE.  As far
as I am concerned, (X)ANDF is vaporware, and the JUICE specifications are
heavily closed (unless you want to read/interpret Oberon source code for the
next two weeks, but who wants to do that?  I not only have a life, but I
need to pay bills, etc).

One of the reasons for learning LISP fairly recently, in fact, was to
investigate its semantics to see if we could devise a truely open source
slim binary format.

From: Fernando Mato Mira
"Samuel A. Falvo II" wrote:

> cool stuff," and "This is how <insert some company whose name you never
> heard of before> used ANDF to make <insert some program whose name you never
> heard of before> run under multiple UNIX operating systems."

How about:

"This is how <insert some company whose name you have heard before many times>
used <insert some format whose name you never
heard of before> to make <insert some program whose name you heard of before many
times> run under multiple UNIX operating systems."

Oh. That's the MIPS ABI, not ANDF, sorry. ;-)
From: Benjamin Kowarsch
> >Apart from B and C and J, which other programming languages have a
> >character named after them?
>
> E.
>
> And Forth (originally to be called Fourth) has a number.  What other
> languages have a NUMBER?

Z-80 has a character and a number ;-)

--
As an anti-spam measure I have scrambled my email address here.
Remove "nospam-" and ROT13 to obtain my email address in clear text.