From: Hendrik Hilberdink
Subject: lisp under linuxppc
Hello everyone,

does anyone happen to know if there's a lisp that runs under linuxppc?
Any pointers in that direction would be much appreciated.
Hendrik

From: Chuck Fry
Subject: Re: lisp under linuxppc
In article <·················@nucba.ac.jp>,
Hendrik Hilberdink  <···@nucba.ac.jp> wrote:
>does anyone happen to know if there's a lisp that runs under linuxppc?

I seem to recall hearing that Franz has ported Allegro CL to MkLinux,
which has a fair chance of working under Linux PPC.  See www.franz.com
for more info.  Paging Duane Rettig... can you comment?

 -- Chuck
--
	    Chuck Fry -- Jack of all trades, master of none
 ······@chucko.com (text only please)  ········@home.com (MIME enabled)
From: Duane Rettig
······@best.com (Chuck Fry) writes:

> In article <·················@nucba.ac.jp>,
> Hendrik Hilberdink  <···@nucba.ac.jp> wrote:
> >does anyone happen to know if there's a lisp that runs under linuxppc?
>
> I seem to recall hearing that Franz has ported Allegro CL to MkLinux,
> which has a fair chance of working under Linux PPC.  See www.franz.com
> for more info.  Paging Duane Rettig... can you comment?
>
>  -- Chuck

Yes, we have both MkLinux and Linuxppc R4 on our Mac, and Allegro CL 5.0.1
works on both.  Unfortunately R5 of Linuxppc took too long to come out,
and we didn't have time or equipment to put it up and port to it - so
we're only on R4.  Allegro CL 5.0.1 has been frozen for a while, and
is on schedule to ship "real soon".

Interestingly, your comment about having a fair chance of working wasn't
a gimme; when we first tried running the mklinux version on linuxppc we
discovered that the sigcontext structures were different.  We set our
signal handlers up so that they would dynamically determine what structure
they are getting, though, so the same binary does work on both systems.

--
Duane Rettig          Franz Inc.            http://www.franz.com/ (www)
1995 University Ave Suite 275  Berkeley, CA 94704
From: David Thornley
In article <·············@beta.franz.com>,
Duane Rettig  <·····@franz.com> wrote:
>······@best.com (Chuck Fry) writes:
>
>> In article <·················@nucba.ac.jp>,
>> Hendrik Hilberdink  <···@nucba.ac.jp> wrote:
>> >does anyone happen to know if there's a lisp that runs under linuxppc?
>>
>> I seem to recall hearing that Franz has ported Allegro CL to MkLinux,
>> which has a fair chance of working under Linux PPC.  See www.franz.com
>> for more info.  Paging Duane Rettig... can you comment?
>>
>>  -- Chuck
>
>--
>Duane Rettig          Franz Inc.            http://www.franz.com/ (www)
>1995 University Ave Suite 275  Berkeley, CA 94704
>Phone: (510) 548-3600; FAX: (510) 548-8253   ·····@Franz.COM (internet)

OK, where on http://www.franz.com?  I didn't find it there.  I'd love
to get a version of Unix with a good Lisp, and I was wondering if I'd
have to get an Intel box for Linux.

(BTW, would the MkLinux Lisp be available in the free trial version?)

--
David H. Thornley                        | If you want my opinion, ask.
·····@thornley.net                       | If you don't, flee.
From: Duane Rettig
········@visi.com (David Thornley) writes:

> OK, where on http://www.franz.com?  I didn't find it there.  I'd love
> to get a version of Unix with a good Lisp, and I was wondering if I'd
> have to get an Intel box for Linux.

Sorry this took so long; we're still working on our product rollout
and the new web page will be installed as the August page (in August).

> (BTW, would the MkLinux Lisp be available in the free trial version?)

Yes, (it works with MkLinux or LinuxPPC R4).  Also freebsd and the
x86 linuxen:

ftp://ftp.franz.com/pub/acl501trial/

From: Erann Gat
<···@nucba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> does anyone happen to know if there's a lisp that runs under linuxppc?
> Any pointers in that direction would be much appreciated.
> Hendrik

We've ported MacIntosh Common Lisp (MCL) to both linuxppc and vxWorks.
MCL is a commercial product, so we can't distribute it without a licence
from Digitool.  (We have a source licence for internal use only.)  We've
been trying to get Digitool to extend our licence to allow us to distribute
our ports (with an appropriate royalty paid to Digitool) but so far they
have not gotten back to us.  If there is interest in making these products
available I'd suggest sending an email to Hazem Sayed (······@digitool.com).
Hearing from some actual customers may motivate him to get back to us on
the licence extension.

Erann Gat
···@jpl.nasa.gov