From: Sashank Varma
Subject: Re: Porting from MACLISP?
In article <···············@world.std.com>, Kent M Pitman
<······@world.std.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Joshua Sutterfield <·····@umr.edu> writes:
>
> > Anyone have any advice on porting something written in maclisp to
> > something that could be compiled on solaris or maybe hp-ux?  I'm
> > researching for a project to port SHRDLU, an old AI program, so that we
> > can run the thing.
[snip]

i thought there were common lisp versions of some of the classic ai
programs floating around already.  you may want to do a bit of searching
before porting old code.  if you're just looking to port a random early
ai program, check out norvig's "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence
Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp".  he presents modern versions
of GPS, ELIZA, and STUDENT.

> I have some notes somewhere on how to do this.  I took detailed
> notes when I ported Macsyma from Maclisp/Zetalisp to Common Lisp.
> I'll look around and see if I can find them...

could you post them when you find them?

> > or does anyone know of a maclisp interpreter/compiler/translator/anything
> > for something other than multics?
[snip]

through the early 1990s, i had cause to run franzlisp, which i
believe is a close relation of maclisp, on decstations under vms.
also, i believe a small outfit, perhaps even an individual, had
a franz/maclisp on mac hardware at the time, but the details
escape me.

sashank

From: Felix Winkelmann
From: Kent M Pitman
Felix Winkelmann <·····@anu.ie> writes:

> Is there a MACLISP manual available? (Or at least some information
> about it) Any hints or links would be appreciated.

The sources are offline.  I'm trying to get them back so I can put it
back online.
From: Felix Winkelmann
Kent M Pitman wrote:

> Felix Winkelmann <·····@anu.ie> writes:
>
> > Is there a MACLISP manual available? (Or at least some information
> > about it) Any hints or links would be appreciated.
>
> The sources are offline.  I'm trying to get them back so I can put it
> back online.

That's great! I recently read some books about older LISP dialects
(the "LISP 1.5 Programmers Manual", "Performance & Evaluation of
LISP Systems", etc.) and I think it's mightily interesting to
look at the evolution of a programming language, especially if
that language exists for such a long time.
From: Steve Gonedes
Subject: Lisp History was Re: Porting from MACLISP?
Felix Winkelmann <·····@anu.ie> writes:

< > > Is there a MACLISP manual available? (Or at least some information
< > > about it) Any hints or links would be appreciated.
< >
<
< That's great! I recently read some books about older LISP dialects
< (the "LISP 1.5 Programmers Manual", "Performance & Evaluation of
< LISP Systems", etc.) and I think it's mightily interesting to
< look at the evolution of a programming language, especially if
< that language exists for such a long time.

Just recently I found a link to a paper that describes the development
and history of multics emacs. I thought it was a very good read and
thought I should post the url for those who may be interested and
haven't read it.

http://www.lilli.com/mepap.html