From: Jean-Luc Mouysset
Subject: search for LISP as freeware
hello,

I am looking for LISP emulator or compiler as freeware.

do you know any ? what is your experience with it ?

thank you for your kind support

·················@wanadoo.fr

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: search for LISP as freeware
In article <············@platane.wanadoo.fr>,
Jean-Luc Mouysset <·················@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>I am looking for LISP emulator or compiler as freeware.

What's a LISP "emulator"?  An emulator is something that pretends to be the
real thing (e.g. a terminal emulator is a program that runs on a
general-purpose computer and makes it act like a real terminal).  Since
LISP normally runs on a general-purpose computer, and so would a LISP
emulator, what's the difference?

Anyway, there's an entire section of the FAQ devoted to free Common Lisp
implementations.  See
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository/ai/html/faqs/lang/lisp/part4/faq-doc-1.html>.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
Don't bother cc'ing followups to me.
From: Erik Naggum
* Barry Margolin <······@bbnplanet.com>
| What's a LISP "emulator"?

  it's probably froglish for "interpreter".

#:Erik
From: Johan Kullstam
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no> writes:

> * Barry Margolin <······@bbnplanet.com>
> | What's a LISP "emulator"?
>
>   it's probably froglish for "interpreter".

this reminds me of my favorite run-in with tech support back at
georgia tech.  being a dirt-poor grad student at the time, i could not
afford a real computer.  instead i had scavanged up a dec vt220 out of
a dumpster and bought a cheap modem to log into the school equipment
from home.

anyhow, there was this library system and when you logged into it, it
would allow me to choose terminal support modes.  i picked vt220.
things didn't work out very well.  backspace in particular was broken.
i e-mailed and called in about the broken backspace -- vt220 sends
<del>, they wanted a ^H (stty was inaccessible since i was never
dumped into an actual command shell, but had to use the library
shell).

they asked about what i was using.  dec vt220 i replied.  they said,
no, what emulator program are you using.  i said, i'm not using an
emulator.  there was a long pause.  then they said that their support
was working fine with the emulation offered by the library PC
computers.  i said the PC emulation was broken notwithstanding the
apparent correct behavior since i had an honest to god dec vt220 and
the PCs with the so-called emulation weren't having the same problem.
more silence.

i then read to them the definition of emulator from the dictionary.
then they hung up the phone.

--
johan kullstam
From: Lyman S. Taylor
In article <·················@burlma1-snr1.gtei.net>,
Barry Margolin  <······@bbnplanet.com> wrote:
>In article <············@platane.wanadoo.fr>,
>Jean-Luc Mouysset <·················@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>>I am looking for LISP emulator or compiler as freeware.
>
>What's a LISP "emulator"?

   I bet the word he was reaching for was "interpreter". ;-)   I'm not
   sure of the French equivalents for either word so he is one up on me.

>Anyway, there's an entire section of the FAQ devoted to free Common Lisp
>implementations.  See
><http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository/ai/html/faqs/lang/lisp/part4/faq-doc-1.html>.

   It is a tad dated ( time to update the FAQ??? ).

   A more "lively" pointer CMU Lisp  would be

       http://www.cons.org/cmucl/

   And CLISP also has a page at that site.

      http://clisp.cons.org/

   Franz's free Windows product is now up to version 5.0 ( and markedly
   improved ).   Not to be outdone the folks at Harlequin also have a
   free version of the commerical Windows Lispworks product.
   http://www.harlequin.com/

   Roger Corman has  an accesible Windows implementation. [ I can't recall
    where to snag it from though...]

   His "PowerLisp" for the Macintosh can be skipped in favor of the
   "free" version of Macintosh Common Lisp (if you can do your "Lisping" in
   10 minute intervals. :-)  For "newbies" this may not be such a bad idea.).
   http://www.digitool.com/

--

Lyman S. Taylor            "I'm a Doctor! Not a commando."
(·····@cc.gatech.edu)         The enhanced EMH Doctor in a ST:Voyager epidsode.
From: Nick Levine
Another source of information (which may or may not be more out-of-date than the FAQ) is the Association of
Lisp Users site. Try:

    http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/systems.htm#free

- nick