From: Kenneth P. Turvey
Subject: Re: Learning curve for common lisp
On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 19:18:14 GMT,
Soren Dayton <···············@cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>Some friends and I are thinking about a project, and we were wondering
>about using CL (including CLOS).  Given backgrounds with C++,
>etc. (fairly substantial) and Scheme and ML (less substantial) what sort
>of learning experience should we be expecting?
>
>Given the size of CL, we are a little worried that we'd begin by writing
>pretty lousy code, and have to go back at some point and rewrite some
>stuff.  Is this a serious problem?  What sort of time scale should we be
>aware of? When will we hit that point?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>Soren

I have been using Common Lisp for a little over a year and I still feel
like a novice.   It is a big language.  If you come from a scheme
background it should be a bit easier to get started, but becoming an
accomplished LISP programmer takes longer than any of the languages you
mentioned.  In some places it is more complicated (the object system,
packages), in everything it is simply bigger.

I am an excellent C programmer, but only a mediocre LISP programmer.

The question you should ask first is whether LISP is the language to use
for your application.  Can you give us some more details about the
project you are considering?

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <·······@SprocketShop.com>

Practice random senselessness and act kind of beautiful.
	-- James Craig Burley