From: Greg Menke
Subject: Style issues in Common Lisp
I've worked with Lisp off and on for quite some time, read the Horn
and Steele texts, but I don't recall seeing/reading a more or less
comprehensive discussion on Lisp style.  I'm not trolling here, just
curious about Lisp program structure generally.

I use C/C++ and Assembly for the most part.  I also use Basic and have
messed a bit with Prolog.  I tend to write "C like" code in Lisp as
far as algorithms are concerned, although I can take at least basic
advantage of some of Lisp's control structure.

As I recall in Prolog, it is often useful to employ tail recursion
which provides recursive program structure without the obvious stack
consequences.  Are there classes of program structure in Lisp which
offer advantagesin the same way?

Thanks,

Gregm

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Style issues in Common Lisp
In article <··············@pop.erols.com>,
Greg Menke  <······@erols.com> wrote:

>I've worked with Lisp off and on for quite some time, read the Horn
>and Steele texts, but I don't recall seeing/reading a more or less
>comprehensive discussion on Lisp style.  I'm not trolling here, just
>curious about Lisp program structure generally.

What about the book "Lisp: Style and Design", by Miller and Benson?

I also typed "Lisp style and design" in the AltaVists search engine and it
brought up lots of web pages that look useful.

>As I recall in Prolog, it is often useful to employ tail recursion
>which provides recursive program structure without the obvious stack
>consequences.  Are there classes of program structure in Lisp which
>offer advantagesin the same way?

Lisp doesn't require tail-call optimization, although some implementations
will do it with the right optimize settings.

But in general, Lisp programmers don't worry much about low-level
optimizations, we concern ourselves with the general algorithm and making
use of the high-level language features that support it.  Take a look at
the various style guides.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
From: Sunil Mishra
Barry Margolin <······@bbnplanet.com> writes:

> In article <··············@pop.erols.com>,
> Greg Menke  <······@erols.com> wrote:
> >
> >I've worked with Lisp off and on for quite some time, read the Horn
> >and Steele texts, but I don't recall seeing/reading a more or less
> >comprehensive discussion on Lisp style.  I'm not trolling here, just
> >curious about Lisp program structure generally.
>
> What about the book "Lisp: Style and Design", by Miller and Benson?
>
> I also typed "Lisp style and design" in the AltaVists search engine and it
> brought up lots of web pages that look useful.

There is what I think a rather comprehensive guide to lisp style at the ALU
web site. The one I remember is a series of slides presented at a lisp
conference. At least 40 slides in all, somewhat brief but quite meaningful
for anyone with some experience in lisp. (Or perhaps its on another web
site linked to the ALU web site?) In any case, here's the ALU site (and
other potential sites with style guides)

http://www.elwoodcorp.com/alu/
http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/onlisp/

Sunil
From: Chuck Fry
In article <···············@whizzy.cc.gatech.edu>,
Sunil Mishra  <·······@whizzy.cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>There is what I think a rather comprehensive guide to lisp style at the ALU
>web site. The one I remember is a series of slides presented at a lisp
>conference. At least 40 slides in all, somewhat brief but quite meaningful
>for anyone with some experience in lisp. (Or perhaps its on another web
>site linked to the ALU web site?) In any case, here's the ALU site (and
>other potential sites with style guides)
>
>http://www.elwoodcorp.com/alu/
>http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html
>http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/onlisp/

See also:
 <http://www.norvig.com/luv-slides.ps>

 -- Chuck
--
	    Chuck Fry -- Jack of all trades, master of none
 ······@chucko.com (text only please)  ········@home.com (MIME enabled)
From: Sunil Mishra
······@best.com (Chuck Fry) writes:

> >http://www.elwoodcorp.com/alu/
> >http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html
> >http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/onlisp/
>
> See also:
>  <http://www.norvig.com/luv-slides.ps>

Ahhh, yes, just the one I was thinking of. Thanks Chuck! :-)

Sunil