From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: loading Emacs-Lisp into CL
Sam Steingold <ยทยทยท@goems.com> writes:

> This does not work with CLISP because (probe-file "/etc/") signals an
> error (file is not a directory).  (a workaround is being worked on).

Incidentally, I see no reason for (probe-file "/etc/") to return
anything useful in any conforming implementation.  Directories are not
required to be files.  In some operating systems, they aren't files.
That's not to say an implementation can't usefully define this behavior;
I just wanted to be clear it's not something you should expect because
of the standard... at least, not for any reason I can recall.