From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: loading Emacs-Lisp into CL
* Sam Steingold <···@goems.com>
| (defmacro calendar-for-loop (var from init to final do &rest body)
|   "Execute a for loop."
|   (` (let (( (, var) (1- (, init)) ))
|        (while (>= (, final) (setq (, var) (1+ (, var))))
|          (,@ body)))))
|
| is correct in EL (but not in CL).  obviously I have to redefine backquote
| in the emacs-lisp package, but I don't know how to do this easily (I am
| not particularly eager to re-invent the wheel).
|
| Any suggestions?

  yes.  don't bother.  many things in Emacs Lisp should not be replicated.
  instead, fix the Emacs sources and submit them as patches.

#:Erik

From: Hrvoje Niksic
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no> writes:

>   yes.  don't bother.  many things in Emacs Lisp should not be
>   replicated.  instead, fix the Emacs sources and submit them as
>   patches.

A large amount of legacy Emacs code (both in the distribution and
elsewhere on the net) uses "old-style" backquotes.  If Sam's goal is
to run such code unchanged, he will probably have to implement the
backquote junk, somehow.
From: Mike McDonald
In article <··············@pc-hrvoje.srce.hr>,
	Hrvoje Niksic <·······@srce.hr> writes:
> Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no> writes:
>
>>   yes.  don't bother.  many things in Emacs Lisp should not be
>>   replicated.  instead, fix the Emacs sources and submit them as
>>   patches.
>
> A large amount of legacy Emacs code (both in the distribution and
> elsewhere on the net) uses "old-style" backquotes.  If Sam's goal is
> to run such code unchanged, he will probably have to implement the
> backquote junk, somehow.

  Wouldn't it be easier to implement the byte code interpreter and just run
the .elc files instead?

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com
From: Erik Naggum
* ·······@mikemac.com (Mike McDonald)
| Wouldn't it be easier to implement the byte code interpreter and just run
| the .elc files instead?

  for this particular case, it would, but the byte code interpreter calls
  out to functions all the time, and you would need to implement almost
  everything anyway.  the byte code is also more incompatible between the
  various versions of Emacs than the source is.  not that it isn't a good
  idea, but it would probably cause a lot more work than you think to get
  it right everywhere.

#:Erik