From: robertsod
Subject: John Backus
I know it's not precisely what this newsgroup is for, but does anyone know
if anywhere on the internet the text for John Backus's 1978 Turing Award
speech about his functional langugae can be found?

please email me at
·····@isppower.com

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: John Backus
In article <··········@news.hawaii.rr.com>,
robertsod <············@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>I know it's not precisely what this newsgroup is for, but does anyone know
>if anywhere on the internet the text for John Backus's 1978 Turing Award
>speech about his functional langugae can be found?

Probably somewhere at www.acm.org, although it might be in a members-only
area.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 00:40:19 GMT, Barry Margolin <······@bbnplanet.com>
wrote:

> Probably somewhere at www.acm.org, although it might be in a members-only
> area.

You probably refer to ACM's Digital Library http://www.acm.org/dl/. Papers
may be purchased also by non members, but the library only stores (most of)
those published after 1990. Backus' Turing Award speech appeared on CACM in
1978.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: Robert Monfera
robertsod wrote:

> I know it's not precisely what this newsgroup is for, but does anyone know
> if anywhere on the internet the text for John Backus's 1978 Turing Award
> speech about his functional langugae can be found?
>
> please email me at
> ·····@isppower.com

AFAIK this paper about FP and FFP can be found in Glaser's book on
functional programming: P. Glaser, C. Hankin, and D. Till. Principles of
Functional Programming. Prentice Hall, 1984.  Amazon says it is out of
print, but you may find it in university libraries.

He also wrote a follow-up paper:
FL Language Manual, Parts 1 & 2", J. Backus et al, IBM Research Report
                    RJ 7100 (1989)
which is polymorphism and other advancements on the conceptual FP/FFP
basis.
Contact: ·······@watson.ibm.com (look around the web page of IBM's
Watson Research Facility, maybe it's out there on-line).

It is not irrelevant to ask about it in this newsgroup, as implementing
any of those languages in CL for academic purposes is quite natural and
enjoyable.  Have fun!

Robert