From: Randy Sims
Subject: XML/SMIL resources?
I'm looking for pointers to lisp-family code for dealing with XML
documents -- and specifically with SMIL (Synchronized Multimedia
Integration Language http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-smil/).  Any help?

Randy.

--
Randal N. Sims (Randy)           |  Tel:   (803)725-1387
Westinghouse Savannah River Co.  |  Fax:   (803)725-8829

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily
	    represent Westinghouse Savannah River Co. or the
	    United States Department of Energy.

From: Didier PH Martin
Subject: Re: XML/SMIL resources?
HI Randy,

The only Scheme related XML tool that I know is DSSSL. However there is no
tools in DSSSL for SMIL. Actual DSSSL implementation can only render part
of SMIL. Are you looking for a tool to render SMIL?

Didier PH Martin
··············@netfolder.com
http://www.netfolder.com

From: Randy Sims
Specifically, I'm looking for parts to build a SMIL editor.

Randy.

From: Howard R. Stearns
Have you looked into the contributed library (janderson) of CL-HTTP?

I don't know anything about this code except that it exists.
(http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html)

From: Randy Sims
No, I have not yet done so.  I cruised across the CL-HTTP site once
looking for such a thing and missed it.  And, apparently, I'm not too
good with searh engines as it seems I should have found here some
combination of xml and lisp.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer!

Randy.

From: Steven M. Haflich
[Sorry for the badly-formatted post.  Here is a repost.]

Randy Sims wrote:

> > > I'm looking for pointers to lisp-family code for dealing with XML
> > > documents -- and specifically with SMIL (Synchronized Multimedia
> > > Integration Language http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-smil/).  Any help?
>
> Specifically, I'm looking for parts to build a SMIL editor.

I'm curious whether and how the cl-http code worked out for you.  I've
been writing some XML-parsing CL code which I intend soon to make
available free to whoever wants it.  But it isn't quite yet ready for
alpha release.

The problem how to organize XML utilities is an interesting and subtle
one.  It has been remarked that XML is just lisp with tags instead of
parentheses.  This is true to a considerable degree, but IMHO there
are a couple deep potholes in the XML language that make tool design
dangerous and tricky.  (In defense of the XML designers, I presume
these glitches were well motivated by back compatibility with SGML,
etc.)

Anyway, I'm still wrestling with these issues and I'll put the details
below so uninterested parties don't need to wade through it.  But if
anyone is interested in discussing lisp tools for XML, please followup
privately or publically.  I'll probably have code to try out soon.

========== <XLflame>

The XML standard defines an "XML Processor" to be a program that reads
XML and passes document contents and markup information on to
application code.  All this is fine, and the syntax of XML is tight
and nicely specified (although tedious, because of the use of zillions
of multicharacter lexical markers and tags rather than clean lispy
parentheses).

One big flaw is this: The formal BNF for XML, designed for an "XML
Processor", specifies the language with the provision that syntactic
entities in a document-type declaration, such as an ELEMENT
declaration, might be provided by parameter entity expansion.  That
parameter definition might be in an external file.  For example:

 <!ELEMENT %ename; %econtent; >

where this might be a typical definition to be found in some external
file:

 <! ENTITY % ename "para" >
 <! ENTITY % econtent "(#PCDATA | italics | bold)" >

That doesn't matter to an "XML Processor" as defined by the XML
standard, but makes a big difference to other random processors of XML
data, such as an editor.  One would like to be able to write an editor
(obviously non-validating) that ensured syntactic correctness, but
this is not possible if syntactic elements can be constructed out text
replacement.  Worse, one could not even base the editor on the same
grammar that the XML Processor uses, since the grammar defines the DTD
syntax _after_ entity substitution.  The standard prohibits
C-preprocessor-like abominations such as constructing single tokens
out of concatenating macroexpansion text, but I don't see how the
standard prohibits things like this:

 <! ENTITY % ename "para (#PCDATA" >
 <! ENTITY % econtent " | italics | bold)" >

IMO a well-designed language should have a single syntax that can be
used by a processor program as well as by an editor program.

========== </XLflame>
From: Tim Bradshaw
"Steven M. Haflich" <···@franz.com> writes:

> That doesn't matter to an "XML Processor" as defined by the XML
> standard, but makes a big difference to other random processors of XML
> data, such as an editor.  One would like to be able to write an editor
> (obviously non-validating) that ensured syntactic correctness, but
> this is not possible if syntactic elements can be constructed out text
> replacement.  Worse, one could not even base the editor on the same
> grammar that the XML Processor uses, since the grammar defines the DTD
> syntax _after_ entity substitution.  The standard prohibits
> C-preprocessor-like abominations such as constructing single tokens
> out of concatenating macroexpansion text, but I don't see how the
> standard prohibits things like this:
>
>  <! ENTITY % ename "para (#PCDATA" >
>  <! ENTITY % econtent " | italics | bold)" >

That's a bad flaw, if it's true.  I say `if it's true' because I
thought half the point of XML whas that it should be possible to write
non-validating processors that *didn't* require the DTD.  There's a
whole lot of stuff about making empty elements have a special form
which seems to have been designed just for this.  Does any XML person
know the real story?

--tim
From: Erik Naggum
* "Steven M. Haflich" <···@franz.com>

* Tim Bradshaw <···@tfeb.org>
| That's a bad flaw, if it's true.  I say `if it's true' because I thought
| half the point of XML whas that it should be possible to write
| non-validating processors that *didn't* require the DTD.  There's a whole
| lot of stuff about making empty elements have a special form which seems
| to have been designed just for this.  Does any XML person know the real
| story?

  the above declarations cannot occur outside the DTD, so it doesn't matter
  that this incredible cruftitude is restricted to the DTD.

  BTW, the above fragment is not legal XML or SGML.  the entity boundaries
  are part of the syntax.  give a form like <!ELEMENT %ename %econtent>,
  the parser will actually see

    <!ELEMENT %ename para (#PCDATA Ee %econtent | italics | bold) Ee >

  and neither Ee (Entity end) nor a parameter entity references are allowed
  at those points.

  there's a reason why I stopped working with SGML.  don't make me explain.

#:Erik