From: Davide
Subject: Lisp, C++, and the ... real world of apps.
Hi to all,
I've been a LISP enthusiast since the 1990, when I encountered
the Scheme during one of my first graduate exams.
I've been working for three years and sometimes the
word "lisp" in the real world is even unknown !!!
Why this ?!?!
I currently use Lex&Yacc, Visual Basic, Visual C++ ... to develope
applications the customers ask me. I'm working fine with these
enviroments/languages but I'm trying the ACL5.0Lite for Windows
(the platform I'm working for) and the first impact is that its IDE
is not so "good enough" to win on Visual Studio ...
I love Lisp programming, and I'd like to start a Lisp-Programmer
career, or better to become a Lisp expert in my town ("we" produce
cars in NW of Italy ;-))) but I'm not able to find significant reasons to
use Lisp on applications developement.
Why aren't there so many Lisp written applications ?
Could I propose Lisp code to my customers ?
I haven't seen (almost) any job offer concerning Lisp programming:
why this ?
Take a look around the net ... maybe outside the USA...
I've the sensation that Lisp will remain the best educational language
(and no more) even if I will remain enthusiast on it...
Would you help me to learn more about these items ?

Best regards.
Davide.

P.S.: since I've not seen this msg for more than an half a day,
I've posted it again into the NG...
From: Howard R. Stearns
Subject: Re: Lisp, C++, and the ... real world of apps.
See http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/contents.htm in general, and
http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/commercial-use.htm in particular.  I
think I remember someone in Milan being pretty heavy into Lisp.  Was it
Finn Mechanica (spelling?)?

At the above site, you will also find links to essays regarding the use
of Lisp, etc., and lots of stuff that you might be able to use to
justify your use of Lisp. Also check out deja-news for NUMEROUS past
threads on this newsgroup.