From: Kelly Murray
Subject: Hemlock Editor
[Seems my post didn't show up, I try again..]

Does anyone have much experience using the CMUCL editor
Hemlock, and how it compares with Gnu Emacs?
Also, anyone try to get it working with another lisp
other than CMUCL?  such as ACL or CLISP?

kelly murray  ···@intellimarket.com
From: Christopher R. Barry
Subject: Re: Hemlock Editor
Kelly Murray <···@www.intellimarket.com> writes:

> Does anyone have much experience using the CMUCL editor
> Hemlock, and how it compares with Gnu Emacs?

It's not quite in the same league as GNU/X Emacs, but it is a really
nice editor. It does have a dired and a news and mail client, but not
much else in the way of packages or modes. The bindings for a lot of
things are quite different than what is the norm (C-x C-z to exit, for
example).

My favorite thing about it so far are it's pop-up windows. Hemlock
pops up borderless/decorationless windows in situations where a
"normal" Emacs would just split the current buffer to display
information, and this window will vanish once you're done with
it. There are commands for scrolling this window and you can also
press `k' to instantly add window-manager decorations to the
window. It's (IMHO) more powerful than the pop-up-frame mechanisms in
GNU/X Emacs.

You add customizations to a hemlock-init.lisp file in your home
directory. For starters, you might want to put this in it:

  (in-package 'hemlock)
  (setv default-font '-*-Fixed-Medium-R-*-*-*-140-*-*-*-*-*-*)

This will give you the GNU Emacs default font (which is IMHO the best
Lisp font I know of so far).

You can write functions for it using true Common Lisp and CLOS and
compile to native code, which is probably the coolest thing about
it. And the postscript documentation that comes with it is superb.

> Also, anyone try to get it working with another lisp other than
> CMUCL?  such as ACL or CLISP?

I think this has been done.

Christopher