From: Terry A. Ward
Subject: muLISP
anyone familiar with this varaition of LISP; how does it compare as a learning
tool for the language.

Thanks!
From: charliew
Subject: Re: muLISP
I'm VERY familiar with it, as I have used it quite a lot in the last 10
years.  I haven't used others' implementations, so I can't give you a
comparison.  However, I will say that I am very happy with muLisp.  The
package that you buy from Soft Warehouse comes in two "flavors":

The small memory version, which allows you to compile programs, make
executable images, etc.

The large memory version, which can take advantage of very much memory above
the normal 640 K.  This version doesn't allow you to make executable images,
and as I remember, it doesn't allow you to compile programs.  Nevertheless,
the "dcode" that muLisp compiles to when it loads is relatively fast and
compact.

One of the things I REALLY like about this package is the fact that you get
source code for most of the programs you buy, including source code for the
editor.  Thus, if there are editor functions that you do not like, you can
change them or extend them as you see fit (which I have done).

There are also other things I like about this implementation, such as
control variables that allow you to do such things as input echo to the
screen, output echo to the screen, control whether or not escape characters
print, redefine the type of various characters (i.e., declare a zero to be
type alphabetic, if you want to), etc.  Thus, you get quite a bit of control
over how the system functions, which leads to a great deal of flexibility.

Hopefully, I have been helpful.