From: Paul Anderson
Subject: resources
It's been a long time since I have dealt with lisp (read 1984). In
reading the group, I see a lot has changed... go figure.

I have some text processing programs that, while easy to implement in
perl, would not allow me some of the additional features I would like
i.e. AI, etc.

Where can I find a good reference on the current implementations of
lisp, the language standard as now established, and possibly a shareware
compiler (DOS, '95 for training) (NT or Linux for implementation) for
re-training, testing, and evaluating my algorithms? Any additional
material regarding linking to web pages for cgi applications would be a
benefit.

I realize the learning curve will be steep once again, (sigh...) but I
do wish to evaluate if doing it in lisp makes more sense.

Thanks.
From: Nick Levine
Subject: Re: resources
Paul Anderson wrote:

> It's been a long time since I have dealt with lisp (read 1984). In
> reading the group, I see a lot has changed... go figure.

Welcome back Paul!

> Where can I find a good reference on the current implementations of
> lisp, the language standard as now established, and possibly a shareware
> compiler (DOS, '95 for training) (NT or Linux for implementation) for
> re-training, testing, and evaluating my algorithms? Any additional
> material regarding linking to web pages for cgi applications would be a
> benefit.

I would suggest you start with the ALU home page:

    http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/contents.htm

This has pointers to numerous goodies. In particular, lists of current
implementations (both commercial and free) are on

    http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/systems.htm

See

    http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/references.htm

for pointers to standards, official and de facto.

- nick