From: Bill&Virginia Hodges
Subject: CMUCL memeory requirements
I am trying to execute the lisp core image from
www2.cons.org:8000/ftp-area/cmucl/experimental/
called cmucl-x86.linux.thread.tgz on Mandrake 6.1.
It reports:
-------------------------------
[······@hodges bin]$ ./lisp
mmap: Cannot allocate memory
ensure_space: Failed to validate 268431360 bytes at 0x10000000
[······@hodges bin]$
---------------------------
Does it really expect 268Meg of real memory to be available?
Is there a way around this when i only have 64 Meg?

Thanks,
Bill

From: Rudolf Schlatte
Subject: Re: CMUCL memeory requirements
Bill&Virginia Hodges <······@oz.net> wrote:
> I am trying to execute the lisp core image from
> www2.cons.org:8000/ftp-area/cmucl/experimental/
> called cmucl-x86.linux.thread.tgz on Mandrake 6.1.
> It reports:
[snip overcommit memory failed msg]
> Does it really expect 268Meg of real memory to be available?
> Is there a way around this when i only have 64 Meg?

echo 1 > /proc/sys/overcommit_memory

You need to be root to do this.  (I hope I got the location of the
parameter correct; I am not at my own machine right now.)

Rudi
From: Fredrik Sandstrom
In article <··········@fstgal00.tu-graz.ac.at>, Rudolf Schlatte wrote:
>Bill&Virginia Hodges <······@oz.net> wrote:
>[snip overcommit memory failed msg]
>> Does it really expect 268Meg of real memory to be available?
>> Is there a way around this when i only have 64 Meg?
>
>echo 1 > /proc/sys/overcommit_memory
>
>You need to be root to do this.  (I hope I got the location of the
>parameter correct; I am not at my own machine right now.)

Almost.  /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory is the correct path.

--
- Fredrik Sandstrom   ·······@infa.abo.fi   http://infa.abo.fi/~fredrik -
               Computer Science at Abo Akademi University              --