From: Masoud Pirnazar
Subject: Finding a lisp system on windows and linux
I've read the CMU faq's and gone through several web pages, but can't
figure out what lisp system to use.  Does anyone have a comparison of
the different free lisp systems that are available?  I need advice on
which one to use for the types of tools available and how standardized
(e.g. cltl or ansi) they are.

I looked at
    clisp        doesn't do #( arrays ).  On linux, I couldn't compile
clx.  May not have a full CLOS.
    cmucl        only works on some unixes?  There's a port available on
Debian.  Are there any ports to PC's?
    kcl        superseded by akcl
    akcl        superseded by gcl
    gcl        Is there a version for windows?

I'm also looking at the allegro lisp for linux.
If anyone has experience with these packages and can compare them to
other packages, please let me know.

I'd like to get a lisp system for windows, and one (possibly a different
one) for linux.

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Finding a lisp system on windows and linux
 >> I looked at
 >>     clisp        doesn't do #( arrays ).

RTFM. call clisp with `-a' command line argument or set lisp:*ansi* to T

 >> On linux, I couldn't compile clx.

huh? what version are you using?
I compile clx on both linux and solaris with little problems.

 >> May not have a full CLOS.

except for things like `change-class', CLISP is quite complete.
you might want to try PCL, if you need `change-class'.

CLISP seems to be the only free ANSI CL for win32.

on linux and solaris, if you do a lot of floating point computations,
you might prefer CMUCL, otherwise CLISP is a good choice.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds/)
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
From: Don Geddis
On 23 Dec 1999 15:31:25 EST, Masoud Pirnazar <··········@poboxes.com> wrote:
> I've read the CMU faq's and gone through several web pages, but can't
> figure out what lisp system to use.
> I looked at
>     cmucl        only works on some unixes?  There's a port available on
> Debian.  Are there any ports to PC's?

Did you check the home page at
	http://www.cons.org/cmucl/
They seem to have downloads for Dec Alpha, HPUX, Sun Sparc, FreeBSD/x86,
RedHat/x86, and SGI.  Was the unix you wanted not covered there?

> I'm also looking at the allegro lisp for linux.

That's also a very good system, although of course it's a commercial package
so you'll have to pay if you want to do anything commercial yourself.

	-- Don
Don Geddis                ······@cadabra.com               Phone 650-403-2220
Cadabra Inc.              http://cadabra.com                 Fax 650-403-2201
1820 Gateway Drive, Suite 300, San Mateo, CA 94404          Main 650-403-2200
From: Tim Bradshaw
* Masoud Pirnazar wrote:
>     clisp        doesn't do #( arrays ).

?

    lostwithiel$ clisp
      i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
      I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
      I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
       \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
	`-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
	    |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
      ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

    Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
    Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
    Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
    Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999

    [1]> #(1 2 3)
    #(1 2 3)
    [2]>
    Bye.
    lostwithiel$

--tim
From: Paolo Amoroso
wrote:

>     cmucl        only works on some unixes?  There's a port available on
> Debian.  Are there any ports to PC's?

SBCL, a new experimental system (by William Harold Newman) derived from CMU
CL, may make porting CMU CL to other platforms easier. SBCL can build
itself from scratch and requires only ANSI Common Lisp as a
cross-compilation host. It is available at:

  http://www.bel-epa.com/sbcl/

Paolo
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <····························@4ax.com>, Paolo Amoroso
<·······@mclink.it> wrote:

> On 23 Dec 1999 15:31:25 EST, Masoud Pirnazar <··········@poboxes.com>
> wrote:
>
> >     cmucl        only works on some unixes?  There's a port available on
> > Debian.  Are there any ports to PC's?
>
> SBCL, a new experimental system (by William Harold Newman) derived from CMU
> CL, may make porting CMU CL to other platforms easier. SBCL can build
> itself from scratch and requires only ANSI Common Lisp as a
> cross-compilation host. It is available at:
>
>   http://www.bel-epa.com/sbcl/

I haven't used it (I don't use Linux), but if it does what
it says, then it's a cool improvement to CMU CL.
Hmm, maybe I should try to compile it on my Lispm. ;-)

Rainer Joswig, ISION Internet AG, Harburger Schlossstrasse 1,
21079 Hamburg, Germany, Tel: +49 40 77175 226
Email: ·············@ision.de , WWW: http://www.ision.de/
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Fri, 24 Dec 1999 19:57:04 +0100, Rainer Joswig <·············@ision.de>
wrote:

> In article <····························@4ax.com>, Paolo Amoroso
> <·······@mclink.it> wrote:
[...]
> >   http://www.bel-epa.com/sbcl/
[...]
> Hmm, maybe I should try to compile it on my Lispm. ;-)

Be sure to have _a lot_ of RAM handy on your LispM, at least over 100M ;-)
It seems that, at least at this highly experimental, pre-alpha stage, it
takes significant resources to build the system. <PLUG>The latest release
of the EncyCMUCLopedia (code named Lispmas :) includes a short document in
which the author of SBCL illustrates the changes he did to CMU CL to get
SBCL.</PLUG>

Paolo