From: Janos Blazi
Subject: Entirely off-topic question )sorry)
If I wanted to implement UNIX type regular expressions myself: Could anybody
tell me if this is described in some book? I mean the basic principles of
such an implementation.

Janos Blazi

From: Christopher R. Barry
Subject: Re: Entirely off-topic question )sorry)
"Janos Blazi" <······@netsurf.de> writes:

> If I wanted to implement UNIX type regular expressions myself: Could anybody
> tell me if this is described in some book? I mean the basic principles of
> such an implementation.

You'll want to get at least the Mastering Regular Expressions book
from Oreilly.

Christopher
From: Jonathan Coupe
I think I remember seeing an artcile on a simple (buit inefficient) way to
implement regexes in Dobbs about 6 months ago. Try a search on their site.

Jonathan

···················@2xtreme.net...

From: Frank A. Adrian
If you're really interested, get a copy of Aho and Ullman's book on
Compilation techniques and look at the work on compiling RE's into Finite
State Automata.  Then look at some of the past work on string matching,
paying close attention to the Boyer-Moore algorithm.  Next look at the code
from existing pattern matchers, like those found in various lexical analysis
tools like Lex, Flex, Grep, Awk, and Perl.  Pay close attention to the
dynamic compilation of regular expressions in each.  Finally, wrap up with
some of the newer work on approximate string matching.  At that point, you
might be ready to write something that matches what you could get for free
in the public domain.

faa