From: Eugene Wallingford
Subject: Re: Design patterns as a weapon
: CLOS goes way beyond the abilities of common OO languages (Smalltalk,
: C++, Java), so probably this is not a determining factor - unless you
: meant that CL abilities beyond a simple OOP (e.g., MOP or functional
: programming) render patterns less valuable for the Lisp community.

     I meant only that OO patterns probably don't mean much to
     programmers who write functional programs.  The fact that
     CLOS is so much more powerful in some respects than common
     OOP languages would only make the lack of interest more
     extreme.

     I didn't mean to say that the idea of patterns is less valuable
     for the Lisp community; I think the idea is equally valuable.
     However, the patterns the the Lisp community values will almost
     certainly be quite different from OO or procedural patterns.

| Eugene Wallingford                                  ········@cs.uni.edu |
|                       University of Northern Iowa                       |
|                      Intelligent Systems Laboratory                     |