From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Web site of ``Object-Oriented Common Lisp''
Has anybody been able to locate the Web site of the book "Object-Oriented
Common Lisp" by S. Slade (Prentice-Hall)? According to the author it should
be at:

  http://www.prenhall.com/divisions/ptr/

But after some search I only found a page describing the book, with a link
for downloading some unspecified software leading to an empty directory on
an FTP site. This doesn't look like the material mentioned in Appendix A.

Paolo

From: John R. Strohm
Subject: Re: Web site of ``Object-Oriented Common Lisp''
In article <················@news.mclink.it>, Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:48:23 GMT
(·······@mclink.it) says...

>Has anybody been able to locate the Web site of the book "Object-Oriented
>Common Lisp" by S. Slade (Prentice-Hall)? According to the author it should
>be at:
>
>  http://www.prenhall.com/divisions/ptr/
>
>But after some search I only found a page describing the book, with a link
>for downloading some unspecified software leading to an empty directory on
>an FTP site. This doesn't look like the material mentioned in Appendix A.

Prentice-Hall lied through their teeth on this one.  I drew their attention
to the problem when when I first bought the book, a long time ago.  They
promised to look into it right after the holidays.  Despite repeated queries,
I have never received any further response from them.

As a result, I look much harder at any Prentice-Hall title.  Anything from
them that promises "Internet resources" gets discounted as another lie.

--John
From: David B. Lamkins
In article
<··················································@lp.airnews.net>,
······@airmail.net (John R. Strohm) wrote:

>In article <················@news.mclink.it>, Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:48:23 GMT
>(·······@mclink.it) says...
>>
>>Has anybody been able to locate the Web site of the book "Object-Oriented
>>Common Lisp" by S. Slade (Prentice-Hall)? According to the author it should
>>be at:
>>
>>  http://www.prenhall.com/divisions/ptr/
>>
>>But after some search I only found a page describing the book, with a link
>>for downloading some unspecified software leading to an empty directory on
>>an FTP site. This doesn't look like the material mentioned in Appendix A.
>
>Prentice-Hall lied through their teeth on this one.  I drew their attention
>to the problem when when I first bought the book, a long time ago.  They
>promised to look into it right after the holidays.  Despite repeated queries,
>I have never received any further response from them.
>
>As a result, I look much harder at any Prentice-Hall title.  Anything from
>them that promises "Internet resources" gets discounted as another lie.

At least you got a response.  All me queries to them went unanswered.
From: John Watton
BTW I already pointed out when this thread started months ago that the
OOCL website is at:

http://eldorado.stern.nyu.edu/~sslade/lisp/

But since we are dissing on Prentice-Hall. Early this year they
announced the forthcoming 2nd edition of Graham's ANSI Common Lisp for
spring 1999. My librarian learned from them that it is delayed until
2000 and now I see no signs of its pending existence. I believe that the
book must be complete because they had had a new page count and outline.
I can only speculated that Prentice-Hall sees to much profit in internet
and Java books to even break stride and pick up $50 off the floor.

--
John Watton
Alcoa Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: ···········@alcoa.com
In article <················@news.mclink.it>,
  ·······@mclink.it (Paolo Amoroso) wrote:
> Has anybody been able to locate the Web site of the book
"Object-Oriented
> Common Lisp" by S. Slade (Prentice-Hall)? According to the author it
should
> be at:
>
>   http://www.prenhall.com/divisions/ptr/
>
> But after some search I only found a page describing the book, with a
link
> for downloading some unspecified software leading to an empty
directory on
> an FTP site. This doesn't look like the material mentioned in Appendix
A.

Try:

From: John R. Strohm
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>, Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:45:36 GMT
(···········@alcoa.com) says...

>In article <················@news.mclink.it>,
>  ·······@mclink.it (Paolo Amoroso) wrote:
>> Has anybody been able to locate the Web site of the book
>"Object-Oriented
>> Common Lisp" by S. Slade (Prentice-Hall)? According to the author it
>should
>> be at:
>>
>>   http://www.prenhall.com/divisions/ptr/
>>
>> But after some search I only found a page describing the book, with a
>link
>> for downloading some unspecified software leading to an empty
>directory on
>> an FTP site. This doesn't look like the material mentioned in Appendix
>A.
>
>Try:
>
>http://eldorado.stern.nyu.edu/~sslade/lisp/
>
>--
>John Watton
>Alcoa Inc.

Thank you VERY much for posting that.  Apparently Slade put the site
together, and gave it to Prentice-Hall, and the THEORY was that they would
hotlink it, but someone dropped the ball.

--John