From: Robert Kiendl
Subject: connecting Lisp & Java
does anyone see a chance to use the java vm & api (swing) from the lisp
side?

robert

From: Stig E. Sand�
Subject: Re: connecting Lisp & Java
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:17:52 +0200, Robert Kiendl <·······@gmx.net> wrote:
>does anyone see a chance to use the java vm & api (swing) from the lisp
>side?

You can use CORBA to connect Lisp and Java, or you might check out
Kawa which allows Scheme within a Java environment. A check here might
also help: http://grunge.cs.tu-berlin.de/~tolk/vmlanguages.html

Stig Erik Sandoe    Institute of Informatics, University of Bergen
····@ii.uib.no                         http://www.ii.uib.no/~stig/
From: Robert Kiendl
> > does anyone see a chance to use the java vm & api (swing) from the lisp
> > side?
>
> What exactly do you have in mind?  Do you have any example to explain
> the concept?

instantiate arbitrary java classes from the java api and own stuff (i.e.
gui classes), calling their methods; let at least the java top gui
thread run and signal selected events somehow back to lisp.
the intention is to have a very thin java layer for gui (network, ...)
tasks, retaining as much control on the lisp side as possible (calling
dialogs, handling contents of the windows, respond to menu clicks, ...)
so i want to avoid writing a full-sized client/server application (2
programms, complicated interface, ...). also fine would be to spin off
the java code out of lisp source files at lisp compile time or by a
special generatator call in order to have an integrated source code
setup.

robert
From: Stanley
wrote:

>does anyone see a chance to use the java vm & api (swing) from the lisp
>side?
>
>robert

We have a substantial library for creating Java-based user interfaces
for our lisp application language.  I'll be giving a paper on it at
the Lisp User Group.

- Stanley Knutson
Chief Scientist

http://www.ktiworld.com
----
 lxb
I prefer Latex and Bondage as ways of relaxing.
Do you have a problem with that?
From: ·······@my-deja.com
In article <·················@gmx.net>,
  Robert Kiendl <·······@gmx.net> wrote:
> does anyone see a chance to use the java vm & api (swing)
> from the lisp side?

Options you have right now are to use CORBA or ILU to connect
CommonLisp and Java, or to use one of the small Lisp systems
implemented in Java.

I think it would be great to be able to run native Java and Lisp
implementations in the same address space, because that would
make using other parts of the Java 2 APIs from Lisp efficient
(2D, 3D graphics, relational database access, etc.).

One way of doing this would be to load the JavaVM into
CommonLisp and access it via a FFI; Kaffe might be a good
starting point for that.  Another would be to translate
Java byte codes into CommonLisp functions and compile to
native code with the CommonLisp compiler.  Both of those are
quite doable, but they are significant amounts of work.

Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/