From: R. Matthew Emerson
Subject: CRC32 in lisp
I wrote code to compute the CRC32 of an input buffer.  It works
well in CMUCL, since that implementation can deal with the
(unsigned-byte 32) type directly.  In other implementations I
have access to, it conses bignums like crazy.

But, it does demonstrate that there is nothing inherent in
Lisp that prevents one from using it for this sort of low-level
bit-bashing.

It's at http://www.thoughtstuff.com/rme/lisp.html#crc-32

Sorry if these little tidbits are trivial, but Lisp is so fun
that I just have to tell someone.

-matt

From: Vassil Nikolov
Subject: Re: CRC32 in lisp
R. Matthew Emerson wrote:                [1999-08-20 18:38 +0000]

  > I wrote code to compute the CRC32 of an input buffer.
  [...]
  > It's at http://www.thoughtstuff.com/rme/lisp.html#crc-32
  [...]

I think it is good to have such pieces of code.

The code is apparently in the public domain?  It would be nice if it
had some sort of copyright notice.

Vassil Nikolov
Permanent forwarding e-mail: ········@poboxes.com
For more: http://www.poboxes.com/vnikolov
  Abaci lignei --- programmatici ferrei.

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
From: R. Matthew Emerson
Vassil Nikolov <···@einet.bg> writes:

> R. Matthew Emerson wrote:                [1999-08-20 18:38 +0000]
>
>   > I wrote code to compute the CRC32 of an input buffer.
>   [...]
>   > It's at http://www.thoughtstuff.com/rme/lisp.html#crc-32
>   [...]
>
> The code is apparently in the public domain?  It would be nice if it
> had some sort of copyright notice.

I've placed all the Lisp code on my lisp page in the public domain,
and noted that in all the source files.

-matt
From: Vassil Nikolov
R. Matthew Emerson wrote:                [1999-08-23 19:37 +0000]

  > Vassil Nikolov <···@einet.bg> writes:
  >
  > > R. Matthew Emerson wrote:                [1999-08-20 18:38 +0000]
  > >
  > >   > I wrote code to compute the CRC32 of an input buffer.
  > >   [...]
  > >   > It's at http://www.thoughtstuff.com/rme/lisp.html#crc-32
  > >   [...]
  > >
  > > The code is apparently in the public domain?  It would be nice if it
  > > had some sort of copyright notice.
  >
  > I've placed all the Lisp code on my lisp page in the public domain,
  > and noted that in all the source files.

I just downloaded the file with the CRC computation:

  ;;;; table-driven crc32 implementation, after rfc1952
  ;;; This runs with very little consing in CMUCL.
  ;;; by ···@acm.org (R. Matthew Emerson)

and found no notice in it, that's why I asked.

Maybe I should have looked more carefully at the index page (whose
URL appears above) but I was in a hurry and I was interested only
in the CRC part anyway.

(I am not trying to find faults with you, just wanted to establish
the status of the program without misunderstanding.)