From: Tomoyuki Tanaka
Subject: David Touretzky: "Dragon's recursive dream"
   From: ·······@rt66.com (David B. Thomas)
	http://www.rt66.com/dthomas/offering.txt
	thanks for sharing this GEB-like dialogue with us.
	i've only skimmed it.  does it have a point?

amazon.com:
     * Common Lisp : A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic
     Computation -- David S. Touretzky; Paperback

     * Lisp : A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation

i like this GEB-inspired "Dragon's recursive dream".

(page 198-)

"I had a most curious dream," the dragon said.
"It was a recursive dream, in fact." [...]

"Last night I was looking at a long loaf of bread, and I
wondered how many slices it would make.  To answer my question I
actually went and cut one slice from the loaf.  But now what?  I
had one slice, one slightly shorter loaf of bread, and no
answer.  I kept puzzling and puzzling over the problem until
finally I fell asleep."

"And that's when you had the dream?" Martin asked.

"Yes, a very curious one.  I dreamed about another dragon, who
had a loaf of bread just like mine except his was a slice
shorter.  [...]"

	[i (TT) am tired of typing.  Lispers and GEBers would
	get the picture.]

"I get it!" Martin said.  "[...] How many slices did your
loaf make?"

"Twenty-seven," said the dragon.  "It was a very long dream."

(defun count-slices (x)
  (if (null? x)
      0
      (1+ (count-slices (rest x)))))