From: David Fenyes
Subject: Any success with LispWorks 4.1 personal + RedHat 6.0?
Hello,

Has anyone had any luck running LW 4.1 from Harlequin with Red Hat
6.0?

I've installed the software but get a core dump on startup.  I'd very
much like to see what the environment looks like.

Thanks,

David.
--
David Fenyes  --  ·······@home.com

From: Lieven Marchand
David Fenyes <·······@flash.net> writes:

> Has anyone had any luck running LW 4.1 from Harlequin with Red Hat
> 6.0?
>
> I've installed the software but get a core dump on startup.  I'd very
> much like to see what the environment looks like.

You need the linux-fork.ufsl patch that has recently been distributed
for that.

--
Lieven Marchand <···@bewoner.dma.be>
If there are aliens, they play Go. -- Lasker
From: Friedrich Dominicus
David Fenyes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone had any luck running LW 4.1 from Harlequin with Red Hat
> 6.0?
>
> I've installed the software but get a core dump on startup.  I'd very
> much like to see what the environment looks like.

I ran it on a debian 2.0 glibc 2.07 computer. It just works even if not
designed for DEBIAN (what a pitty). But I guess that won't help you
much.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Stig E. Sand�
On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 17:51:14 GMT, David Fenyes <·······@flash.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Has anyone had any luck running LW 4.1 from Harlequin with Red Hat
>6.0?
>
>I've installed the software but get a core dump on startup.  I'd very
>much like to see what the environment looks like.

They mailed about a patch for RH6 recently, but I don't know if they've
patched the 'personal edition'.

Stig Erik Sandoe    Institute of Informatics, University of Bergen
····@ii.uib.no                         http://www.ii.uib.no/~stig/
From: Pierre R. Mai
David Fenyes <·······@flash.net> writes:

> Has anyone had any luck running LW 4.1 from Harlequin with Red Hat
> 6.0?
>
> I've installed the software but get a core dump on startup.  I'd very
> much like to see what the environment looks like.

There was an ugly bug in the first version of the LWW 4.1 Beta for
Linux distributed via the web, which caused it to core dump on X
displays with a depth other than 8 or 16 bpp.  Since the personal
version can't be patched, a corrected version was put up recently.

So you either have to download it again, or switch to a display with 8
or 16 bpp.

I'm posting this publically, so that others who got bitten by this bug
get a chance to re-evaluate LWW for Linux.

Apart from this bug, there was also a problem with RH 6.0 for which a
patch was released recently.  I don't know the effects of the bug or
the patch, and/or whether it applies to the personal edition, and/or
whether the patch has been worked into the downloadable personal
edition, since I use neither RH 6.0 nor the Pers. Ed.

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver