From: Xin Wang
Subject: Use Lisp in Java
Hi,

I want to use a block of  LISP code (some function) in my Java program. I
don't know if it can get accomplished. Does anyone can give me some clue?
I'd appreciated it if someone would like to help me. Please reply to
····@uic.edu

Jie

From: Jason Trenouth
Subject: Re: Use Lisp in Java
On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:47:09 -0500, "Xin Wang" <·······@uic.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use a block of  LISP code (some function) in my Java program. I
> don't know if it can get accomplished. Does anyone can give me some clue?
> I'd appreciated it if someone would like to help me. Please reply to
> ····@uic.edu
>
> Jie

If you have only a small piece of code then you can probably just manually
rewrite it as Java. If you have a large program then you could consider using
CORBA. This means using both a Common Lisp ORB and a Java ORB to enable the
communication to happen. Java ORBs are ubiquitous. Common Lisp ORBs are
available from Harlequin (HCL-ORB), Franz (ORBLink), and Xerox PARC (ILU).

__Jason

Harlequin: http://www.harlequin.com
Franz: http://www.franz.com
Xerox PARC: http://www.parc.xerox.com
From: Kar Shiang
Subject: JESS?
you may have a look on JESS (Java expert system shell)...
JESS is a shell written in Java... Pls visit
http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/jess/

KarShiang
From: Aaron M. Renn
On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:47:09 -0500, Xin Wang <·······@uic.edu> wrote:
>I want to use a block of  LISP code (some function) in my Java program. I
>don't know if it can get accomplished. Does anyone can give me some clue?
>I'd appreciated it if someone would like to help me. Please reply to
>····@uic.edu

Look at http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/

This is for Scheme, not LISP, but might be useful for you nevertheless.

--
Aaron M. Renn (·····@urbanophile.com) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/
From: Hartmann Schaffer
[Posted and mailed]

In article <·············@piglet.cc.uic.edu>,
	"Xin Wang" <·······@uic.edu> writes:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use a block of  LISP code (some function) in my Java program. I
> don't know if it can get accomplished. Does anyone can give me some clue?
> I'd appreciated it if someone would like to help me. Please reply to
> ····@uic.edu
>
> Jie

Depends on the code.  There is at least one Scheme=in-Java system (check
out www.schemers.org) called Kawa.  So if your Lisp function is not too
difficult to rewrite in Scheme that's probably your best bet.

--

Hartmann Schaffer

It is better to fill your days with life than your life with days
From: Christopher R. Barry
··@inferno.nirvananet (Hartmann Schaffer) writes:

> Depends on the code.  There is at least one Scheme=in-Java system (check
> out www.schemers.org) called Kawa.  So if your Lisp function is not too
> difficult to rewrite in Scheme that's probably your best bet.

If one's Lisp function is not too difficult to rewrite in Scheme, it
probably isn't too difficult to rewrite in Java.... ;-)

Christopher
From: Tom Breton
"Xin Wang" <·······@uic.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use a block of  LISP code (some function) in my Java program. I
> don't know if it can get accomplished. Does anyone can give me some clue?
> I'd appreciated it if someone would like to help me. Please reply to

No, if you can post, you can read.

See http://ai.uga.edu/~bancroft/doc. It's primarily an implementation
of MELD in Java, but includes Lisp-in-Java.

--
Tom Breton, http://world.std.com/~tob
Ugh-free Spelling (no "gh") http://world.std.com/~tob/ugh-free.html