From: Hans N. Beck
Subject: (GNU) GPL project in LISP
Hi all,

can anyone tell me if there exists an lifes some GPL or GNU
project using LISP ?  I have nothing like this seen
anywhere,
the most is I know is using C/C++.

Thanks

Hans

--
         Dipl.-Ing. Hans N. Beck
Technischer + didaktischer Computereinsatz

        Tel: +49 (0)7203 922280
        Fax: +49(0)7203 922281
        Handy: 0177 5383233
        eMail: ······@tedakt.de
        WWW: http://www.tedakt.de

From: Stig E. Sand�
Subject: Re: (GNU) GPL project in LISP
On Mon, 09 Aug 1999 23:03:13 +0200, Hans N. Beck <······@t-online.de> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>can anyone tell me if there exists an lifes some GPL or GNU
>project using LISP ?  I have nothing like this seen
>anywhere,
>the most is I know is using C/C++.

Several projects use GPL as their license, some examples:
Emacs (Editor of Choice): http://www.emacs.org/
CLISP (CL Implementation): http://clisp.cons.org/
Closure (Web Browser): http://wwwrzstud.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unk6/closure/

along with plenty of other projects..

Stig Erik Sandoe    Institute of Informatics, University of Bergen
····@ii.uib.no                         http://www.ii.uib.no/~stig/
From: Julian Einwag
"Hans N. Beck" <······@t-online.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> can anyone tell me if there exists an lifes some GPL or GNU
> project using LISP ?  I have nothing like this seen
> anywhere,
> the most is I know is using C/C++.

Well, there are GNU Emacs and XEmacs. :-)
And don't forget Guile which is the *the* scripting language of the GNU
project.

--
This is my world, and I am World Leader Pretend,
This is my life, and this is my time,
From: Hans N. Beck
Hi,
thanks for your response.

Julian Einwag schrieb:

> "Hans N. Beck" <······@t-online.de> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > can anyone tell me if there exists an lifes some GPL or GNU
> > project using LISP ?  I have nothing like this seen
> > anywhere,
> > the most is I know is using C/C++.
>
> Well, there are GNU Emacs and XEmacs. :-)
> And don't forget Guile which is the *the* scripting language of the GNU
> project.
>
> --
> This is my world, and I am World Leader Pretend,
> This is my life, and this is my time,
> I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit.
>   -- R.E.M.

o.k., sorry, that was my mistake, Emacs is of course the "trivial"
answer for my unprecise question :-) But Guile is written in LISP ?
I thought it was implemented using C (so far as I know, this is also true
for the kernel of Emacs ) ?

Hans

From: thi
"Hans N. Beck" <······@t-online.de> writes:

> o.k., sorry, that was my mistake, Emacs is of course the "trivial"
> answer for my unprecise question :-) But Guile is written in LISP ?  I
> thought it was implemented using C (so far as I know, this is also
> true for the kernel of Emacs ) ?

guile core is written in C, and some parts in scheme.
emacs core is written in C, and some parts in elisp.

thi
From: Tom Breton
"Hans N. Beck" <······@t-online.de> writes:

> o.k., sorry, that was my mistake, Emacs is of course the "trivial"
> answer for my unprecise question :-) But Guile is written in LISP ?

No, Guile is itself a Scheme.

> I thought it was implemented using C (so far as I know, this is also true
> for the kernel of Emacs ) ?

Yup, both in C.  Emacs I'm abundantly sure of, as I was writing C for
it just the other week.

--
Tom Breton, http://world.std.com/~tob
Ugh-free Spelling (no "gh") http://world.std.com/~tob/ugh-free.html
From: William Deakin
"Hans N. Beck" wrote:

> can anyone tell me if there exists an lifes some GPL or GNU project
> using LISP ?  I have nothing like this seen anywhere, the most is I
> know is using C/C++.

On the gnu software page http://www.gnu.org/software/software.html there
are a number GPL/GNU project that have not been previously mentioned:

'maxima, a Common Lisp implementation of MIT's Macsyma system for
computer based algebra'
'Hyperbole, written by Bob Weiner in Emacs Lisp, is an open, efficient,
programmable information management, autonumbered outliner, and
hypertext system, intended for everyday work on any platform Emacs runs
on.'

Best Regards,

:-) will
From: thi
unabashed plug: THUD is GPL'ed and written in guile scheme.

   http://www.glug.org/people/ttn/software/thud/

cheers,
thi
From: Tord Kallqvist Romstad
In article <·················@pindar.com>, William Deakin wrote:
>"Hans N. Beck" wrote:
>
>> can anyone tell me if there exists an lifes some GPL or GNU project
>> using LISP ?  I have nothing like this seen anywhere, the most is I
>> know is using C/C++.
>
>On the gnu software page http://www.gnu.org/software/software.html there
>are a number GPL/GNU project that have not been previously mentioned:
>
>'maxima, a Common Lisp implementation of MIT's Macsyma system for
>computer based algebra'

I thought development of maxima stopped many years ago?

Tord
From: William Deakin
Tord Kallqvist Romstad wrote:

> In article <·················@pindar.com>, William Deakin wrote:
> >"Hans N. Beck" wrote:
> >
> >> can anyone tell me if there exists an lifes some GPL or GNU project
> >> using LISP ?  I have nothing like this seen anywhere, the most is I
> >> know is using C/C++.
> >
> >On the gnu software page http://www.gnu.org/software/software.html there
> >are a number GPL/GNU project that have not been previously mentioned:
> >
> >'maxima, a Common Lisp implementation of MIT's Macsyma system for
> >computer based algebra'
>
> I thought development of maxima stopped many years ago?

Probably. I don't know. I just read 'if there exists an lifes' as 'if there
exists on line' rather than an active live project. Probably my sloppy
reading again ;-)

--will