From: Kenneth P. Turvey
Subject: BSD Sockets from Clisp
How should I go about using the BSD Socket API from Clisp?  I'm sure
that others have done this many times in the past but I don't see
anything in the docs or the implementation notes.  Should I just work
out how to use FFI under CLisp and do it that way?

Any assistance is appreciated.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <·······@SprocketShop.com>
----------------- http://www.tranquility.net/~kturvey

  A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free
  State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be
  infringed.  -- The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: BSD Sockets from Clisp
it that's been done, then don't reinvent it.  FFIs are heinus, and when it
comes to lisp streams and file handles, it might be even harder, though I
don't know for sure.

I also once looked for networking under CLISP and found nothing.  You may
consider emailing the maintainer if nobody gives you a definitive answer on
how to go about this.

dave
From: Hannu Koivisto
·······@pug1.sprocketshop.com (Kenneth P. Turvey) writes:

| How should I go about using the BSD Socket API from Clisp?  I'm sure

Do you need the full BSD socket API?  There's small socket
stream API for Win32 and Unix platforms, documented in
impnotes.html (bundled in the source distribution and can also
be found via Sam Steingold's homepage (for some reason, the one
in cons.org is older than the one in the latest source
distribution)).

I haven't figured out how to do some simple things with it so I
have never used CLISP for TCP/IP stuff, but that API might be
enough for your purpose so I suggest you check it out.  If you
decide to go the low-level way, then you probably don't need to
use FFI yourself: there's a Linux glibc bindings module already.
I'd assume that at least parts of it are usable also in other
POSIX systems (I may assume wrong, of course).  Why they have
made a glibc specific module and not POSIX module (+ BSD socket
API + possibly glibc specific extensions) more like in Python --
I don't know.

--
Hannu
From: Kenneth P. Turvey
On 06 Aug 1999 19:52:55 +0300, Hannu Koivisto <·····@iki.fi.ns> wrote:
>·······@pug1.sprocketshop.com (Kenneth P. Turvey) writes:
>
>| How should I go about using the BSD Socket API from Clisp?  I'm sure
>
>Do you need the full BSD socket API?  There's small socket
>stream API for Win32 and Unix platforms, documented in
>impnotes.html (bundled in the source distribution and can also
>be found via Sam Steingold's homepage (for some reason, the one
>in cons.org is older than the one in the latest source
>distribution)).

Thanks, that was all the help I needed.  The implementation notes on
cons.org don't mention this interface (or at least I didn't see it
there).

>I haven't figured out how to do some simple things with it so I
>have never used CLISP for TCP/IP stuff, but that API might be
>enough for your purpose so I suggest you check it out.  If you
>decide to go the low-level way, then you probably don't need to
>use FFI yourself: there's a Linux glibc bindings module already.

I didn't know about this either.  I'm sure it will be a real help in the
future.

[Snip]

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <·······@SprocketShop.com>
----------------- http://www.tranquility.net/~kturvey

  Every country has the government it deserves.
        -- Joseph de Maistre
From: Bruno Haible
Hannu Koivisto <·····@iki.fi.ns> wrote:

> There's small socket
> stream API for Win32 and Unix platforms, documented in
> impnotes.html (bundled in the source distribution and can also
> be found via Sam Steingold's homepage (for some reason, the one
> in cons.org is older than the one in the latest source
> distribution)).

The one at clisp.cons.org has now been updated.

                      Bruno