From: Kevin Scott
Subject: [Announce] ICFP'99 Programming Contest
                   ICFP'99 Programming 2nd Announcement
                   ------------------------------------

We are pleased to announce the 1999 ICFP Programming Contest, to be held in
conjunction with the 1999 International Conference on Functional Programming.
The programming contest, in its second year, allows functional programmers
to pit wit and skill against that of their peers in solving a non-trivial
problem in a scant 72 hours.  In addition to the intrinsic rewards of writing
super-cool functional programs, prizes will be awarded to the authors the
three best entries.

At 5PM EDT (21:00 UTC) on Thursday, September 2, we will announce a
Programming Task in this forum, at the contest web site and via e-mail to
registered participants.  Interested parties will have 72 hours to perform
this Programming Task with entries submitted no later than 5PM EDT on Sunday,
September 5.  Contest entries will be evaluated against one another in an
objective competition to determine the 1st and 2nd prize winners.  In
addition a prize will be awarded to some meritorious entry at the discretion
of the judges.  The winners will be notified before ICFP'99 and publicly
glorified at the conference.

The contest is open to all.  We strongly encourage student participation and
have scheduled the contest early in the semester, hoping that students will
have time to enter.  We have a small amount of money to help defray the cost
of conference registration for student winners.  We would also like to remind
everyone that faculty participation is both allowed and welcome.

To find out more about the contest, visit the ICFP'99 Programming Contest
Home Page at http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~jks6b/icfp.

Cheers,

Kevin Scott & Norman Ramsey
Department of Computer Science