From: Vassil Nikolov
Subject: Re: Is LISP or Latin dying?
Reini Urban wrote:                [1999-08-04 20:15 +0000]

  [...]
  > Vassil from Bulgaria wrote:
  > > You'd be surprised how alive Latin is. I remember math classes at
  > > university, especially analytical geometry where our professors
  > > recommended tons of books for us to read and the only one that was neither
  > > in Ancient Greek nor in Latin would have been someting in French by Blaise
  > > Pascal. Not a single recommendation for a book in English and many of
  > > those books didn't have a publicly accessible translation at all. The
  > > Greek ones all had translations into Latin, though. ;-)

No, it was actually someone else (I think someone from the UK?) who
wrote that particular piece in this thread, not me.

Unfortunately both Latin and Greek have been expunged from the Bulgarian
educational system for the last 50 years (with the small exceptions of
medicine and to some extent law).  But people who went to school in
the 1920s and 1930s did study Latin and Greek.  As one of those people
once said in a private conversation with me, those languages are dead
only to people with dead minds.

  > the original Euler, Euclid
  > (impossible to find), Gauss, Leibniz, Plato, Newton or any other.

Didn't Gauss write in German?

Vassil Nikolov
Permanent forwarding e-mail: ········@poboxes.com
For more: http://www.poboxes.com/vnikolov