From: Vassil Nikolov
Subject: Re: Is LISP or Latin dying?
Lieven Marchand wrote:                [1999-08-04 18:43 +0200]

  > Vassil Nikolov <········@poboxes.com> writes:
  >
  > > One perhaps lesser known piece of this debate occurred in the 9th
  > > century when St. Cyril and St. Methodius translated the Bible into
  > > Old Bulgarian (a.k.a. Slavic-Bulgarian), as part of a missionary
  >
  > Is this language also called Old Church Slavonic?

I have never heard `_Old_ Church Slavonic' used.  On the other hand,
there _is_ `Church Slavonic' which has, so to say, the `look and feel'
of Old Bulgarian and is its descendant under Russian influence.
(Since for several centuries, due to the Turkish conquest of the
Balkans, Russia was the mainstay of `Cyrillic-Slavonic' Christianity.)

  [...]
  > Most of the New Testament is written in Aramese IIRC.

I can't comment on that right now but I'll try to consult people.

Vassil Nikolov
Permanent forwarding e-mail: ········@poboxes.com
For more: http://www.poboxes.com/vnikolov
  Abaci lignei --- programmatici ferrei.