From: Firley1
Subject: TIN newsreader
I am in dire need of answers to a couple of questions:

1)  Does anyone know how I can purchase/download a copy of the tin newsreader?
I actually tried downloading it from the tin website, but I don't know how to
access the file.  Do I need a unix workstation, or can I run it from a pc using
Windows 98?

2)  My other option is to use my University of Pittsburgh account.  It is
unix-based and has the tin newsreader.  However, when I telnet in, I can only
read the groups.  When I try to respond or post, the screen gets all messed up.

            I have a feeling that I am using the wrong terminal type.  I tried
"set TERM=vt100" and "export TERM=vt100" but neither of those worked.  I also
tried setting the actual window to vt100 by pulling down the menu, but it was
already set.
          My next thought was that maybe I need to set my editor to the proper
environment.  I tried "set ENV=pico" and "set ENV pico" (because I am using the
pine editor or pico), but that did not work either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am sorry for the off-topic post, but I am
at wits end and cannot seem to find any newsgroups on tin or usenet, although I
am sure they must exist.

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, it would be great
if you could email me your suggestions, as I am having trouble accessing the
newsgroups (as you can see).

Thank you,
Ray

From: Johan Kullstam
Subject: Re: TIN newsreader
·······@aol.com (Firley1) writes:

> I am in dire need of answers to a couple of questions:
>
> 1)  Does anyone know how I can purchase/download a copy of the tin
>     newsreader?

> I actually tried downloading it from the tin website, but I don't
> know how to access the file.  Do I need a unix workstation, or can I
> run it from a pc using Windows 98?

i think tin needs unix.

i like the gnus newsreader.  it comes as part of emacs.  it can be
used from both unix and ms-windows (at least win-nt).  get emacs from
fsf and ntemacs from some site in washington (any search engine will
readily find `ntemacs').

> 2) My other option is to use my University of Pittsburgh account.
> It is unix-based and has the tin newsreader.  However, when I telnet
> in, I can only read the groups.  When I try to respond or post, the
> screen gets all messed up.

this sounds like a terminal configuration problem.

>             I have a feeling that I am using the wrong terminal
> type.  I tried "set TERM=vt100" and "export TERM=vt100" but neither
> of those worked.  I also tried setting the actual window to vt100 by
> pulling down the menu, but it was already set.

are you displaying on a vt100 or compatible emulator?  maybe you want
ansi?  fwiw the vt100 in microsoft's telnet window leaves a lot to be
desired and is near worthless.

>           My next thought was that maybe I need to set my editor to
> the proper environment.  I tried "set ENV=pico" and "set ENV pico"
> (because I am using the pine editor or pico), but that did not work
> either.

afaik you can read news with pine too.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am sorry for the off-topic
> post, but I am at wits end and cannot seem to find any newsgroups on
> tin or usenet, although I am sure they must exist.

get emacs (or xemacs).  learn it, love it, live it!

[obLisp] emacs will make lisp easier due to its great lisp formatting
modes and inferior lisp drivers.  pico might be suitable for whipping
up a mail, but it really doesn't cut it as a full fledged programming
editor and delevopment environment.

> If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, it
> would be great if you could email me your suggestions, as I am
> having trouble accessing the newsgroups (as you can see).

ok, i've tried to email you.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[········@ne.mediaone.net]
From: Paul Rudin

 Johan> i like the gnus newsreader.  it comes as part of emacs.  it
 Johan> can be used from both unix and ms-windows (at least win-nt).

works with win95 and win98 as well

 Johan> get emacs from fsf and ntemacs from some site in washington
 Johan> (any search engine will readily find `ntemacs').

BTW, xemacs now also has a native windows version, check
www.xemacs.org...

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/