From: Johan Parin
Subject: More ILISP Problems
I have almost accepted now that I cannot build ILISP with XEmacs so
I'm going to try to get it to work with FSF Emacs. However there seems
to be some problem here too.

I'm trying to build ILISP 5.8 w/ Emacs 20.3. It barfs during
compilation with the following message:

Symbol's value as variable is void: comint-version

Can somebody tell me what version of Emacs I need to be able to use
ILISP, or how I can get it to work with 20.3?

Thanks in advance.

- Johan Parin

From: Pierre R. Mai
Subject: Re: More ILISP Problems
Johan Parin <······@uab.ericsson.se> writes:

> I have almost accepted now that I cannot build ILISP with XEmacs so
> I'm going to try to get it to work with FSF Emacs. However there seems
> to be some problem here too.

Which version of ILISP are you referring to?  XEmacs 20.4 comes with
ILISP 5.8 "built-in", and with the new 21.1 series, ILISP is available
as an xemacs package (also version 5.8 it seems, though I'm doubtful
whether this version number has been kept current).  Both work
reasonably well.  No need to build ILISP from scratch.

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Johan Parin
Pierre R Mai writes:

  Pierre> Johan Parin <······@uab.ericsson.se> writes:

  >> I have almost accepted now that I cannot build ILISP with XEmacs
  >> so I'm going to try to get it to work with FSF Emacs. However
  >> there seems to be some problem here too.

  Pierre> Which version of ILISP are you referring to?  XEmacs 20.4
  Pierre> comes with ILISP 5.8 "built-in", and with the new 21.1
  Pierre> series, ILISP is available as an xemacs package (also
  Pierre> version 5.8 it seems, though I'm doubtful whether this
  Pierre> version number has been kept current).  Both work reasonably
  Pierre> well.  No need to build ILISP from scratch.

AFAIK I am using the "built-in" version and it does not work with
Allegro. It hangs in the "Started initializing ILISP" stage which is
entered when I try to load a file with C-l. If I interrupt it in this
(hung) stage I keep getting messages like

As of 20.3 `concat' no longer works with compile-function objects ...

ilisp-version is "5.8"

I'm using Allegro 4.3.1 under Solaris 2.7.

- Johan
From: William Deakin
"Pierre R. Mai" wrote:

> Which version of ILISP are you referring to?  XEmacs 20.4 comes with ILISP 5.8
> "built-in", and with the new 21.1 series, ILISP is available as an xemacs
> package (also version 5.8 it seems, though I'm doubtful whether this version
> number has been kept current).  Both work reasonably well.  No need to build
> ILISP from scratch.

You are perfectly correct but compiling them doesn't stop them from working.
When I was having problems with CLISP, I compiled the XEmacs 20.3 and 20.3 ilisp
sources and when I recently installed XEmacs 21.1 I downloaded the ilisp files
and compiled these too.

To this end, I applied the changes a suggested in the gnu.help.emacs thread
'ILISP 5.8-a04 installation and configuration.' and then compiled using the
makefile:

#this is will's xemacs ilisp make file
all:
    /usr/local/bin/xemacs -batch -l ilisp.make.el

Or where-ever you install xemacs. This has alway compiled OK. It does give a few
warnings but otherwise ilisp seems fine with allegro or cmu lisp.

Best Regards,

:-) will
From: Marco Antoniotti
Please note that I am going to release ILISP 5.9 soon.

As an aside, I would like a portable way (i.e. please send me code) to
reliably and unmistakeably find out minor and major version number in
various Emacsen.

Thanks

http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it/~marcoxa
From: Johan Kullstam
Johan Parin <······@uab.ericsson.se> writes:

> I have almost accepted now that I cannot build ILISP with XEmacs so
> I'm going to try to get it to work with FSF Emacs. However there seems
> to be some problem here too.
>
> I'm trying to build ILISP 5.8 w/ Emacs 20.3. It barfs during
> compilation with the following message:

i still can't *find* ILISP 5.8.  it's 404 everywhere i look.  where
did you get it?

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[········@ne.mediaone.net]
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 02 Aug 1999 17:51:12 -0400, Johan Kullstam <········@ne.mediaone.net>
wrote:

> i still can't *find* ILISP 5.8.  it's 404 everywhere i look.  where
> did you get it?

Try:

  ftp://ftp.icsi.berkeley.edu/pub/software/elisp/;type=d

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: Vassil Nikolov
Subject: ``type=d''? (Ex: Re: More ILISP Problems)
Paolo Amoroso wrote:                [1999-08-03 20:23 +0000]

  [...]
  >   ftp://ftp.icsi.berkeley.edu/pub/software/elisp/;type=d

By the way, does ``type=d'' mean `directory' (and would
that not happen by default with that path anyway)?

Vassil Nikolov
Permanent forwarding e-mail: ········@poboxes.com
For more: http://www.poboxes.com/vnikolov
  Abaci lignei --- programmatici ferrei.

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
From: William Deakin
Johan Parin wrote:

> Can somebody tell me what version of Emacs I need to be able to use
> ILISP, or how I can get it to work with 20.3?

I can run xemacs 21.1 with a compiled (but slightly modified) version of
ilisp with allegro 4.3 running under Solaris 2.6 and cmulisp 2.4.13 debian
package under Linux.

The modifications to ilisp are in line with those posted on gnu.emacs.help
a while ago. If you would like me to mail you these mails but you should
be able to get them off deja.com. I think the thread was entitled 'ILISP
5.8-a04 installation and configuration.'

I still can't get CLISP to work with ilisp so I gave up :-(

Best Regards,

:-) will
From: Michael Hudson
Johan Parin <······@uab.ericsson.se> writes:

> I have almost accepted now that I cannot build ILISP with XEmacs so
> I'm going to try to get it to work with FSF Emacs. However there seems
> to be some problem here too.
>
> I'm trying to build ILISP 5.8 w/ Emacs 20.3. It barfs during
> compilation with the following message:
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void: comint-version
>

> Can somebody tell me what version of Emacs I need to be able to use
> ILISP, or how I can get it to work with 20.3?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> - Johan Parin

Have you (or anyone else) worked this out yet? I finally got cmucl
installed on my redhat 6.0 system via debs and alien, but ilisp still
leaves me wanting to stick my head through my monitor.

feeling-rather-ignorant-ly y'rs
Michael
From: Rudi Schlatte
Michael Hudson <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Johan Parin <······@uab.ericsson.se> writes:
> >
> > I'm trying to build ILISP 5.8 w/ Emacs 20.3. It barfs during
> > compilation with the following message:
> >
> > Symbol's value as variable is void: comint-version
> >
> > Can somebody tell me what version of Emacs I need to be able to use
> > ILISP, or how I can get it to work with 20.3?

I have been running it for 5 whole minutes now :-)

Visit ilcompat.el and look at the initform of
+ilisp-emacs-version-id+; this does not have a clause for emacs-20, so
ilisp falls back to Emacs 18 behavior.  I added the cond clause

	  ((string-match "^20" emacs-version)
	   'fsf-19)

and it seems to work just fine.
From: William Deakin
Michael Hudson wrote:

> Have you (or anyone else) worked this out yet? I finally got cmucl
> installed on my redhat 6.0 system via debs and alien, but ilisp still
> leaves me wanting to stick my head through my monitor.

What version of emacs are you using? I have had not problems with cmucl and
ilisp running under Linux with xemacs 21.1p3 when I installed the compiled
ilisp5.8 package. I also have had no problem when I then recompiled the
source using 'xemacs -batch -l ilisp-make.el'.

Best Regards,

:-) will
From: Michael Hudson
William Deakin <·····@pindar.com> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>
> > Have you (or anyone else) worked this out yet? I finally got cmucl
> > installed on my redhat 6.0 system via debs and alien, but ilisp still
> > leaves me wanting to stick my head through my monitor.
>
> What version of emacs are you using?

FSF v20.3,redhat 6.0/i686, same as the article I was replying
to. Anyway, it's working now; turned out ilisp-compat.el (or whatever)
thought "oh, it's fsf emacs but it's not version 19 so it must be
version 18". Kludging around this bit of non-logic helped a lot.

Thanks for replying!

Michael